Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Updated Smog problems: I tried again, and failed badly... (pics)

Previously: Well I had the '78 wagon worked on today at a shop. Had the valves adjusted, the brakes inspected, and an atempt at smogging...

Well it all went pretty bad. The valve job didnt help much since something is wrong with the car/emissions/etc. causing extra fuel to get dumped into the motor, which as a result causes CO2 emissions in the 20%+ range... I have no idea if I connected a vacume line wrong, or if something I did with rebuilding the carb went wrong, or if maybe something else I dont know about is bad...

I might have possibly found the exact problem... The idle screw, on the inside of the throttle, theres alot of corrosive wear where the tip comes out into the throttle area. There looks like possibly there is a gap between the needle and that space, which I would think would allow fuel to seep in no matter how the needle is turned. Heres a pic: http://community.webshots.com/photo/166896604/435176004chIDgj

So I went to the Junkyard last saturday and low and behold there was another 70's wagon there. Automatic. I got the carb off of it, and it and the throttle is in perfect shape and doesnt have that corrosion around the idle screw. I decided to just try out using that carb as it was on the car to see how it would do with smog...

Update: Ok, so I gave it another shot with the Junkyard carb... Failed badly, I screwed up the timing thats for sure. Here are the sheets from it:

Smogsheet.jpg

SmogSpecs.jpg

As you can see, its still not idling right, and its still dumping alot of gas... Plus I guess I have to get that lame heater hose on there too.

I just did a little more work on my old carb, adjusted the float and the choke some to spec. But basically what I did was take the good throttle off the Junkyard carb and used my rebuilt carb with it... Its on the car and I just started it up before dinner and it ran/sounded good. Im going out now to fiddle with it some more, and maybe try the timing... I still dont know if it will pass like this.

I wonder whats wrong this time, sheesh... I'm going to have to give up soon.

Well I give up. The car is spewing white smoke now. I put in the working choke, then reset the timing according to the service manual (disconnect the distributor advance/retard, and the vacume advance) set it to 850rpms with 8% of timing, then pluged everything back in and disconnected that recirculation silved suction thingy from the air cleaner and pluged it and set the idle for 850 rpms. It idles great, seems to be working fine, but ya its spewing nasty white smoke when you rev it hard and let off the gas...

I really dont have any ability to do anything else with it.

Also, I'm getting alot of oil from around the PCV valve now...