Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SVX XT6 Swap

youd need a transmission, or an adapter plate.

it'd fit with no problems.

Oh were it only that simple. The XT6 engine is based upon the EA82 series engines and the SVX based upon the EJ series engines, therefore you'd have to re-wire the car to accept the SVX ECU since these engine do not have distributors but use sensors to set firing. Here is a good link for thing to get off the SVX, http://www.smallcar.com/checklist.htm

Oh were it only that simple. The XT6 engine is based upon the EA82 series engines and the SVX based upon the EJ series engines, therefore you'd have to re-wire the car to accept the SVX ECU since these engine do not have distributors but use sensors to set firing. Here is a good link for thing to get off the SVX, http://www.smallcar.com/checklist.htm

ya, i know about efi.... i have had efi subaru engines runing on engine stands.

oh yeah, your that guy that never got his ej runing right? well it is that simple. wiring is the easy part.

Could i put a SVX engine in my XT6 main reason i want more power and it would be cool to have a 3.3 as a standerd and i love my XT6 i dont want to get a SVX even knowing there very sexy but rather keep with my XT6 any feed back would be great

I'll try to avoid the flame war and suggest that you check out www.xt6.net ; there is a lot more XT6 info there.

ya, i know about efi.... i have had efi subaru engines runing on engine stands.

oh yeah, your that guy that never got his ej runing right? well it is that simple. wiring is the easy part.

Excuse me, the engine does run, there is a problem with the clutch so we can't drive it. So before you start with your sarcastic remarks, get your information straight. I'm guessing that you have never tackled such a conversion, or you wouldn't be say the the wiring is easy. Believe me, it is the hardest part of the conversion.

Not to jump into you crazies being mean to each other when a third party asked a simple question but.... I would say that the wiring is a big issue, but for some, like me, its rather easy. I can read electrical diagrams and uderstand them as I just made my own harness for my SPFI car, which granted is a much smaller and simpler system, but I did it quickly none the less. As stated the Engine will fit, but you need to make some simple things happen... Firstly You'd PORBABLY need to get custom motor mounts. I doubt that the stock ones from either car would work. Second you'd either have to get a tranny adapter to keep your stock tranny, or swap your tranny for a legacy one... The latter is probably easier. Other then that you have to source all the parts, but it'd be one hell of a ride. This is not a light amount of work either, and not for the faint of heart. Thisis something you cannot do to a daily driver as its not an overnight project if you get my drift. I say go for it, take pics, and let me drive it when your done.... I also have always wanted to get the EZ30 in my car.. now that would be big pimpin'

Any of the N/A EJ 5-speeds with matching rear diff would be the easiest fix (cable clutch), the turbo EJ units (and RS) will take the grunt of the 3.3 better but will require you fit the hydraulic clutch hardware.

Gary

I have SDS so i will not need to worry about the ECU but is there a standerd tranny i could put in the XT6 for the SVX motor if not i can make a plate not a problem was hoping it was going to be easyer

Well using a US model to start with would be easier, since there is probably an english language diagram around. Try it with a Japanese diagram and little knowledge of the Japanese language. I am no novice to the wiring business, I am an Electrical Engineer at Boeing and work with airplane wire bundles on a daily basis. When I did the EJ into the RX, I used an aftermarket ECU. While the manufacturer stated that it would work on a Subaru, it was no really designed to do so. Never the less, I did get the engine running, but then we had the clutch problem and couldn't drive the car. If I were to do this again, I would use the stock ECU (which I still have) and just rewire the exsisting system. I also have experience doing that, having rewired a JDM WRX engine into my 96 US model Impreza. So with the experience I tell you that of these type of conversions, WIRING is the hardest part, since the rest is basically bolting parts in place. If the motor mounts are simpler to other EJ models, there might be a small tab that needs to be ground away, otherwise it should work. So if there are others with similar or more experience then myself doing these type of conversions, please step forward and let us hear from you.

I have SDS so i will not need to worry about the ECU but is there a standerd tranny i could put in the XT6 for the SVX motor if not i can make a plate not a problem was hoping it was going to be easyer
I hope you have the EM4-6F, that one seems to be the best for your needs if you install the SVX engine into the car. If you are currently using another SDS model on your XT-6 motor, you may need to get the 6F.

Excuse me, the engine does run, there is a problem with the clutch so we can't drive it. So before you start with your sarcastic remarks, get your information straight. I'm guessing that you have never tackled such a conversion, or you wouldn't be say the the wiring is easy. Believe me, it is the hardest part of the conversion.

you are excused. you must not know about the stuff i have done because i didnt call make a whole web site about the "ultimate hatch" or whatever, but i promise you, i know what im talking about. wiring is easy. you just read the diagram, give the right wires power, and subaru did the rest for you.

the motor mounts on xt6, and ej motors are the same, and sit in the same position.

if you put an ej, or er, or svx motor in an ea car, you have to make custom motor mounts.

if you are puting a svx motor in a xt6, you can use the svx motor mounts... or wrx/sti mounts for that matter.

honestly, if it was a clutch issue, wouldnt it drive by now? yank motor, fix issue, reassemble, drive!

you are excused. you must not know about the stuff i have done because i didnt call make a whole web site about the "ultimate hatch" or whatever, but i promise you, i know what im talking about. wiring is easy. you just read the diagram, give the right wires power, and subaru did the rest for you.

the motor mounts on xt6, and ej motors are the same, and sit in the same position.

if you put an ej, or er, or svx motor in an ea car, you have to make custom motor mounts.

if you are puting a svx motor in a xt6, you can use the svx motor mounts... or wrx/sti mounts for that matter.

honestly, if it was a clutch issue, wouldnt it drive by now? yank motor, fix issue, reassemble, drive!

Well, that depended upon the owner, I have offered many time to come over and fix the clutch issue (bleeding the system) now that I know the special trick to doing that, but he has always had something else going on and didn't want to take the time away from that. I have made that same offer to a person who is interested in buying the car, and they will be brining it back to my place to get it drivable. By the way, I didn't change the motor mounts on the EJ20G engine that I put in the RX and they worked great, no problem. I have noticed on later versions of the EJ motor mounts there is a tab that would cause problems with an EA car, but if you grind those tabs off, they will work.

Will if you think it is that easy to do the wiring, why don't you come up with a simple conversion chart and diagram that shows which wires need to be spliced and which ones don't. Subaru really isn't much help here because the wire colors are not always as the show on the diagram, and the colors used, change from year to year. It can go 4 or 5 years the same, then change the next year.

I guess that you are not proud of the work that you do, or you'd be willing to share it with the rest of the Subaru community.