Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want my thermometer to read in °C not °F!!

I have a 2001 Legacy and I was curious to know if there was a way to change the therometer to °C from °F. I have no good reason for doing this. If my odometer changes to kilometers, so be it, but I would really like my temp to be in °C for reasons unknown to me at this time. :banana:

Thanks for entertaining my thoughts,

Kevin

The dashes did have that option but it only changed the speed units. The rest of the gauges didn't have units. Just a general term like C or H.

Darn it! I was thinking it was as simple as pressing a button somewhere on the back of the cluster...didn't the old Subie digital dashs have that option?

Another thing you could do is purchase a seperate gauge (maybe electronic) that reads the way you want it. It should be able to both conversions.

Here is one offered on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-52mm-LED-7-colors-Water-Temp-C-F-Gauge-Meter_W0QQitemZ4575105896QQcategoryZ102561QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I asked my dealer about this for a trip to Canada, for switching the odometer & temperature displays, no way to do this without replacing the cluster. My '80s GM car had a English/Metric button, the Detroit engineers actually gave this some thought.

That's there mainly cuz Reagan wanted to switch us over to the metric system, that's why a lot of 80s cars had km/h on the speedo as well as MPH but then in the later 80s it kinda died out since they knew most ppl didn't want to switch to the metric system.

That's there mainly cuz Reagan wanted to switch us over to the metric system, that's why a lot of 80s cars had km/h on the speedo as well as MPH but then in the later 80s it kinda died out since they knew most ppl didn't want to switch to the metric system.

Not exactly - it was actually the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 that prompted this. Thirty years on, we can see exactly how successful Carter's brainchild has been.

Just a short OT point...

Its truly ridiculous that the US has still not converted to the metric system... its time to catch up with the rest of the world. The only reason we even get away with it is because we are a large enough economic power to force are will. Its a glaring example of how American laziness and arrogance is substituted for intelligence.

Stepping off the soap box

Gary

He knew if you did not know what system of meausement to use, you would have to have explained to you how to behave. He put ten to make sure you would know it was meant for you also.

I'm afraid that's wisdom too deep for me to fathom.

My .02 of a dollar.

Take care :drunk:

P.-S.: I realy like my Subaru 134.2522 cubic inches engine. But did they really put that .2522 cubic inch in or is it only hype?

I'm afraid that's wisdom too deep for me to fathom.

My .02 of a dollar.

Take care :drunk:

P.-S.: I realy like my Subaru 134.2522 cubic inches engine. But did they really put that .2522 cubic inch in or is it only hype?

Frag I dont know much about the metric system but it seems like what little I know it is probably the better system.

it angers me that my 79 is on the imperial system instead of metric...

why do you people use this stupid system!?

1 mile=1760 yards= 5280 feet= 63360 inches...

what a funky arse system you people are still using... metric is the way of the TRUE lazy person...

1km= 1000m= 100000cm= 1000000mm (see a pattern yet?:rolleyes: )

tcspeer... for you and everybody else who knows diddly/very little about metric, the whole system is like that... volume, mass, temperature(0° is when water freezes at sea level... so when its 0° its most likely snowing!w00t snow!) everything follows the same scheme as that ^^... its so much easier...

and plus metric makes you sound like your car is really fast...

thats my take...

and hey my parent 01 legacy is in °C... i could go to the dealership if you like and check into getting a different display for ya... although that probably a bunch of work to change it over for just some different #'s... heck i'm to lazy to even change mine over... and i can reach the back of mine without taking anything off...

Just a short OT point...

Its truly ridiculous that the US has still not converted to the metric system... its time to catch up with the rest of the world. The only reason we even get away with it is because we are a large enough economic power to force are will. Its a glaring example of how American laziness and arrogance is substituted for intelligence.

Stepping off the soap box

Gary

Heh Heh! It happened while you werent looking! Most all cars made in the US are metric! We buy pop in 2 liter bottles! Our engine sizes are in liters.

And lumber is still in inches but a 2 x 4 does not measure 2 x 4! Not sure if it ever did!

The US will, eventually convert - maybe require another 2-3 generations.

I'd like to point out that the metric system could've helped itself by starting with either the yard - or better - the foot, instead of some arbitrary distance from the equator to the pole divided by 10 million-whatever. And it was our NATO pals that mostly were whining about it. Plus it was falsely promoted as more accurate! Accuracy has nothing to do with the measuring system. It relates to surface finish and repeatability.

Hmmm, wonder if your cameras still have 1/4-20 tripod sockets?

(but I do kinda like having a 15.875 'little carl' nudge nudge,wink wink)

This makes as much sense as saying why do the french speak french, or the Germans, German it has no meaning to most Americans. We have our yard sticks and containters to equal our mearsuments and are use to them. We know when it is 32 degrees it is freezing and has been that way all of our lives. Besides what other nation has figured out how to print as much money as it needs just by turning on the printing press. If we had a system that made sense we might not be able to do this.

it angers me that my 79 is on the imperial system instead of metric...

why do you people use this stupid system!?

1 mile=1760 yards= 5280 feet= 63360 inches...

what a funky arse system you people are still using... metric is the way of the TRUE lazy person...

1km= 1000m= 100000cm= 1000000mm (see a pattern yet?:rolleyes: )

tcspeer... for you and everybody else who knows diddly/very little about metric, the whole system is like that... volume, mass, temperature(0° is when water freezes at sea level... so when its 0° its most likely snowing!w00t snow!) everything follows the same scheme as that ^^... its so much easier...

and plus metric makes you sound like your car is really fast...

thats my take...

and hey my parent 01 legacy is in °C... i could go to the dealership if you like and check into getting a different display for ya... although that probably a bunch of work to change it over for just some different #'s... heck i'm to lazy to even change mine over... and i can reach the back of mine without taking anything off...