Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 question

SUBARU3

I had to replace the oil pick up tube, (bent), in an EA 71 that I am building up. How can I be sure that the tube is sealed well in the block? I know it was difficult to get the old one out, (very tight)

I have a new o ring on the new tube, but I'm still afraid that it might not seal as well as the original.

Ideas?

Cool the tube,heat the block.Make hole slightly larger and tube slightly shrunken.

Just my thought if it were my dilema and nobody around to beat up for information.Let us know what path you take and the outcome,please.I'm waiting to get in touch with a master tech about this issue of removal and insertion of that tube.:brow:

As long as the surfaces are resonable, o-rings work very well - much better than any other seal. Unless you have any reason to think otherwise, i would trust the o-ring.

If you are still worried, you could use some anaerobic sealant on the tube, will make it even harder to get out again though!

Paul.....you asked a master tech?

Todd

JUST got his correct phone number since he moved,today! I'll call him tomorrow later in the day.He's at another Subaru dealer,thankfully.He left my local dealer for Mercedes,but lucky for our side it didn't work out.This guy is THE GREATEST.I'll stack his Subaru knowledge against the entire SOA's current staff.:lol:

Feel free to call me tomorrow night if you have time,say after 8PM my time.