Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82T valve springs? Upgrades?

OK, so I'm getting the stage 2 delta cam profile and I want a few more RPMs.

Does anyone know the stock valve spring pressure? I don't want to shim them if I can find some other springs that will hold 10-20% more pressure.

I might have to take the spings in and compare them to some chevy or ford springs. Maybe I can get some titanium retainers to work on them too.

Has anyone tried using solid lifters in the ea-82 engines?

Any thoughts???

According to Chilton's, the EA82 has the same installed height as the ER27, but around 12% greater "Spring Test Pressure"... I haven't found definition for that, so I don't know if it is spring rate or something else. Either way, I imagine that you can assume that it is apples-vs.-apples, and the EA82 has a higher spring rate.

Not floating at 7k is not much of an endorsement, especially for an OHC engine. RAM has springs, etc, for EA81 that people seem to use in 9k rpm engines. Might be worth looking into, but then again, stock NEW springs might allow the same.

I have a ported spider intake, ported heads, .60comp/.63exh T3 turbo, external wastegate, 2" stainless header, delta stage 2 cams and huge water intercooler. I need me some springs. I would be happy if the power band would pull to 7500.

This engine is still on the stand and getting ready to drop into the RX. After yesturday's rallyX, and after seeing the oil all over in the engine bay, it's about time to think about installing it! Man, that was a blast!