Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the noise is gone... oh, thank god, the bloody noise is gone!!! (so what did i do?)

i have a 1995 subaru legacy L awd.

it makes the standard "hey idiot, you've left the keys in and opened the door" noise.

it also uses that same noise maker to drive me out of my mind. if the door is closed and the keys are in contact with the ignition, the beep is on. not still beeping, just on. it doesn't turn off unless the keys are out. yes, if the keys are in and the car is off, it will still make the noise.

i removed the driver's kneeboard dash cover beneath the steering column and started disconnecting stuff until the noise went away (and, of course, reconnecting whatever didn't work). it turns out that the box beneath the diagnostic port and next to the illumination control unit did the trick.

i dismounted it and opened it up. inside is a pcb with a bunch of resistors, capacitors, and mosfets on it. nothing complicated.

there are eight wires that lead into this box. white, black, two red/black (or is one a red/blue?), yellow, yellow/black, orange (pink?)/black, and blue/black.

the beeper does not beep anymore. not if the door is open, if the keys are in any position, nothing.

however, nothing is broken. the airbag and abs lights did not come on on the dash, and everything else works as it should.

i'm thinking i've disconnected the alarm control unit, but it has no label, only a part number. it's either 80213 aa203 or 802/3 aa203, or something like that. it's hard to read. beneath the part number (?) it says japan (and a city name that i don't remember; i'll post back later with it and the part number if they're important).

google returned nothing with those number combinations. my local auto electronics shop can't look up a part number to see what it does, and he's not too familiar with my car. the chilton's manual wasn't much help, either. (!)

as a final test, i drove about a mile with the unit disconnected, and it was beautiful to not hear that noise. everything worked.

what did i disconnect? is there anything else connected to that box that i need? did i compromise safety or operation?

--RC

Why not leave it dissconected? Every one of my cars has had a chime-extomy when I get the chance. The silence is beautiful. Be glad it wasn't a volkswagen. They play music that gets more annoying than a beeper after about 10 seconds. I doubt it will hurt anything with it removed.

hehe maybe some of us like the door chime thingy. you lear to apreciate things like that the first time you lock yourself out of the car.

Do a search on the boards....

nipper

i have. it didn't come up with much, but i did get an electrical schematic that wasn't any help. :(

--RC