Ultimate Subaru Message Board

took the ole soob 4-wheeling today

well its my b-in-laws soob (89' gl wagon, SPFI, dual range 5-speed)

we've had 3 days of solid nonstop rain, so the creek was overflowing.. on the way in i was the first to go since i was in the smallest vehicle.. stock hieght with 14" pugs and some meaty tires. the other guys were in a lifted 4-runner, and a lifted samurai.

so anyways i start into the creek and realize the water is super deep, so on the gas i go... the water was as deep as the windshield.. came up over the hood and was lashing on teh windshield, so i kept on the gas (only thing i could do) and the damn car went right on through and never sucked a drop of water..

It did take on water through the rusted out back cargo compartments. nowhere else though.

then i got it stuck and had to get winched up a hill.. (thats a long story)

all in all i went through that creek forwards and backwards about 6 times.. water up to the windshield and never had an issue..

until the timing belt broke, lol.... least i know it doesn't need a snorkel, lol..

so tomorrow i get to change his t-belts.. guess thats the price to pay for having fun..

just thought i'd share.. today proved how tough these things really are..