Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Legacy Wagon - Water Pump & Oil Pump Seal

My daughter just bought a 94 Legacy Wagon, (5 speed AWD, 170K miles) and the dealer check-out indicated that the water pump has a slight leak, as well as an oil pump seal leak.

What kind of repair cost and/or mechanic labor hours would she expect to have these items fixed?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Fred Rosse

They have to take the timing belt off to get at these things. I'd say, add a 1/2 hour of labor to replace the water pump, and a 1/2 hr to 1 hr to pull the oil pump, clean it, and reseal it with rtv silicone. Those times would be added onto the normal timing belt job. You might as well replace the belt while you're in there and have it off.

Timing belt job can range from 200-400. I think if you were to have all that work done at the dealer, I would say somewhere in the 400-550 range. Give or take.

I'ld have them do everything while that are there. Replace the waterpump, I usually replace the oil pump after ten years. Have them inspect the cam seals and main seals, replace if they even look the lightest bit tired, replace the iming belt. If you do all this, may be pricey, but then your good for another 80K miles.

nipper