Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does the '96 Outback 5spd have a cable clutch?

After replacing a timing belt, my rpms are too high in 3rd-5th gear. Thru a previous post, I find it may actually not be related to the belt, but may be signifying a slipping clutch. Does anyone know if I can make a cable clutch adjustment on a '96? or might I be in need of a replacement?

Thanks

Susan

my 97 is hydraulic, so I'm sure the 96 is too.

the hydraulic clutch cylinder is on top of the engine just under the throttle body. Remove the air intake assembly to see it to make sure it's moving.

How old is the clutch? What's the mileage on it? You probably need a clutch; in my experience the Subaru clutch doesn't last too long - <100K.

Thanks

It has 116K. I got it 5 years ago with 79k. I haven't replaced it and didn't get any maintenance records when I got it!

my 97 is hydraulic, so I'm sure the 96 is too.

the hydraulic clutch cylinder is on top of the engine just under the throttle body. Remove the air intake assembly to see it to make sure it's moving.

How old is the clutch? What's the mileage on it? You probably need a clutch; in my experience the Subaru clutch doesn't last too long - <100K.

Also in my sad experience, stay away from the DuraLast clutches. Lifetime warranty means nothing when you have to replace the damn thing twice in a year. . . Grrrrrr going to put my third one in when I do the 200K refit on my engine. taking the top end apart, and perhaps the bottom end too, to see how well they are wearing, then installing all new seals. No, she does not need that much work. I just like to know the condition of my engine at all levels. When I do this, I'll also be putting in a good Execdy clutch. Preferably one with a higher than stock clamping pressure on the pressure plate. the engine is stronger than the current clutch, so I tend to spin the clutch fairly often.

From 95 on, all Subaru Manual transmissions have been fitted with Hydraulic clutches. from at least 90 on all of the turbo models have had this as well.

Also in my sad experience, stay away from the DuraLast clutches. Lifetime warranty means nothing when you have to replace the damn thing twice in a year. . . Grrrrrr going to put my third one in when I do the 200K refit on my engine. taking the top end apart, and perhaps the bottom end too, to see how well they are wearing, then installing all new seals. No, she does not need that much work. I just like to know the condition of my engine at all levels. When I do this, I'll also be putting in a good Execdy clutch. Preferably one with a higher than stock clamping pressure on the pressure plate. the engine is stronger than the current clutch, so I tend to spin the clutch fairly often.

From 95 on, all Subaru Manual transmissions have been fitted with Hydraulic clutches. from at least 90 on all of the turbo models have had this as well.

Not so...my 96 Legacy 5MT has a cable clutch. I think the switch may have happened in 97 (which was when a lot of other things got changed as well).

Also in my sad experience, stay away from the DuraLast clutches. Lifetime warranty means nothing when you have to replace the damn thing twice in a year. . .
Absolutely correct. The DuraLast clutch is a Fenco. I'm riding on one, and it's crap. I look forward to it starting to slip, so I can get a less chattery clutch, and get rid of that damned bearing noise. No more Fenco in my car! That means I won't be buying any AutoZone brake calipers, master cylinders, or wheel hubs.
1996 Legacy Brighton, cable clutch. Happy for it, too, as I view it as a mechanically simpler system.

The hydraulic clutch thing started with the 2.5L models. Unless you've got one of the bastard motors from that year (the 155hp one that needs premium gas), you've got a cable clutch and possibly even a hill-holder.

That is correct, 96 was last year with hill holder, and the bastard motor 155hp one was only available with the Auto.

Oh yeah...I forgot about that whole thing with Subaru mounting testbed motors only to the near-invincible 4EAT, cite the SVX.

Does anyone know of any Subaru supplied "H6 + manual transmission" setup? That would make a real nice car, I think. . . Too bad they only strap Manual Trannies to thier H4 engines. . .

Oh, and Al_SemC, your sarcasm is dripping. . ;)

Thank you all for correcting this misinformation I was given, and then pased along.

Sarcasm? Perhaps I misworded that. Do you mean in regards to my quip about the 4EAT's near-invincibility? That was sincere. They are nearly invincible. I was merely referring to the fact that the oddball EV33 was only available bolted to a 4EAT.

The high rate of failure on the SVX is, as far as I can tell, attributed to four things: first, SVX owners driving like toolbags, second, the motor being too powerful for the four-disc clutchpack version of the 4EAT (they should have used the six-disc turbo version), bad programming on the TCU causing the tranny to shift for too long and thus causing excessive heat buildup, and last, inadequate transmission cooler capacity. People who got shift kits or line pressure regulator resistor modifications and bigger tranny coolers were/are fine.

As a testimate to the gearbox's reliabilty there are plenty of people running STi's at 450hp on 4EAT's with nothing more than larger tranny coolers (available from Subaru or SPT) and synthetic ATF perfectly happily. Also, my 4EAT just clicked over 159k and it doesn't complain but for a bit of rough shifting I may be able to fix with some Mobil 1 ATF.

My problems with the 4EAT are only in that 4 gears aren't enough, it's a bit heavy for my taste and it's not a manual. Other than those minor gripes, it's a truly great piece of machinery.

After replacing a timing belt, my rpms are too high in 3rd-5th gear. Thru a previous post, I find it may actually not be related to the belt, but may be signifying a slipping clutch. Does anyone know if I can make a cable clutch adjustment on a '96? or might I be in need of a replacement?

Thanks

Susan

Cable or hydraulic isn't the issue. you should have about 1"play on your clutch pedal.

hope this helps