Ultimate Subaru Message Board

post-timing belt change...

after changing the timing belt on a 1991 subaru legacy L (1.8l), the darn thing just plain won't start.

It died, and upon opening the timing covers, the teeth around the crank were all sheared off. Replacement went smoothly, and I checked that all 3 timing marks were aligned before closing it all up again. (and pulled the pin on the belt tensioner)

Now, however, it just plain won't start. It's turning over, getting good spark, and I can tell it's getting gas from the odor at the pipe. Is there something I needed to do that I skipped? Something that needs resetting?

Help.

did you line all the marks up at the same time?

you should line up the crank mark and the drivers side cam, then install the drivers side belt. then rotate the engine 360 degrees (cam will only go 180) and then line up the passengers side cam and install the belt with the crank lined up again.

the passengers and drivers side cam pulleys have to be 180 degrees off. when one is up, the other is down. most common mistake is to line them up the same way (both up, both down).

if you lined them up right, then usually one of the belts is a tooth off. take the intake off to make sure yo'ure getting a straight line of sight on the marks if you start questioning your alignment. make sure the belts are both dead on.

let me know the answers to these questions and i'll post more possibilities. im' working all night so i should be here a few more hours....

This is the one-belt version, and the instructions I have (2 sources, including the pictures at http://www.subaru-faq.ru/pdf/impreza-1993/Zamena%20Grm.pdf ) indicate all marks aligned at the same time.

I am also quite sure they are not one tooth off. They were all aligned to the marks on the brand new belt, and each was also aligned with the notches/marks in the case.

It's very odd. It was running fine, then it just wouldn't start (it cranked, apparently cranking off the teeth on the belt at the crank) and now every thing turns right, and it just won't catch at all.

It *is* getting spark, and it's got brand new, properly-gapped plugs.

did you line all the marks up at the same time?

you should line up the crank mark and the drivers side cam, then install the drivers side belt. then rotate the engine 360 degrees (cam will only go 180) and then line up the passengers side cam and install the belt with the crank lined up again.

the passengers and drivers side cam pulleys have to be 180 degrees off. when one is up, the other is down. most common mistake is to line them up the same way (both up, both down).

if you lined them up right, then usually one of the belts is a tooth off. take the intake off to make sure yo'ure getting a straight line of sight on the marks if you start questioning your alignment. make sure the belts are both dead on.

let me know the answers to these questions and i'll post more possibilities. im' working all night so i should be here a few more hours....

AH!! dang it, most of the older gen cars are like i described sorry about that.

in this case it sounds like you lined it up correctly, line up the marks and install the belt as you mentioned. did you pull the covers and verify the cams are dead on after turning the motor over some and trying to start it?

when you say the teeth were shreaded off you're speaking about the timing belt teeth of the old belt right? what caused the teeth to be sheared off? sounds like something seized for that to happen? did you make sure all the pulleys spun freely and the crank and cams turned over just fine?

car ran fine before this?

can you do a compression test?

The belt was completely fragged, cracking and peeling. I'm just surprised it didn't die earlier.

Checked all the pulleys, idlers, and the water pump. All turned freely. Turned it over a few times with the covers off, and everything moved, no squeaks or grumbles.

Checked the alignment after turning it over a few times, and it seemed spot on still. As for the compression check... not easily. I'd need to buy or scare up a gauge.

The car ran fine right up to the driveway, and just wouldn't start the next day.

It's actually my friends' car, and they had a mechanic look at it (who apparently snapped off one of the left cover mount bolts. idiot) before I came over to do the belt replacement. I sure hope they didn't dink around with anything else.

AH!! dang it, most of the older gen cars are like i described sorry about that.

in this case it sounds like you lined it up correctly, line up the marks and install the belt as you mentioned. did you pull the covers and verify the cams are dead on after turning the motor over some and trying to start it?

when you say the teeth were shreaded off you're speaking about the timing belt teeth of the old belt right? what caused the teeth to be sheared off? sounds like something seized for that to happen? did you make sure all the pulleys spun freely and the crank and cams turned over just fine?

car ran fine before this?

can you do a compression test?

if the car ran fine, then the timing belts were replaced and it doesn't run fine any more then it seems to point to the belts or anything else that may have been touched/removed.

verify spark at each cylinder, not just one?

hopefully someone else will pipe up, i gotta split.

Hey, thanks...

Battery was getting low. Gonna see if it behaves with a good charge. I'll also verify spark at all cylinders. (It won't spark at all if the cam/crank sensors are too far out of whack, right?)

I'm also going to go back to the 'puter and see what it's reporting now. And check all the fuses again. And check to make sure it's getting gas at the injector.

I just wish I knew for sure what the other buy might have touched. {sigh}

if the car ran fine, then the timing belts were replaced and it doesn't run fine any more then it seems to point to the belts or anything else that may have been touched/removed.

verify spark at each cylinder, not just one?

hopefully someone else will pipe up, i gotta split.