Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vicious LSD 3.9 Rear end/EA82 installation

well today I got ahold of a rear diff from a EJ22T. 3.9 ratio. Funny story how I got it. Our competition (another subaru shop) went under and sold everything. We got a dozen wrecked imprezas for cheap and some other older stuff. I asked the guy if he had a 3.9 open diff for a loyale layin around so I could put my 3.7 LSD unit in the 3.9 case. He showed up 2 hours later with a 3.9 rear end... with the vicious LSD. not bad considering I paid 60 bucks for it and now I can put the real LSD in my old 3.9 open diff.

So I get my old diff off.. took a while cuz the 4 nuts holding the front on were being pretty stubborn. I get it out, get the new lsd diff in place and I can't get the nuts to go back on the studs. after looking at them and seeing how they are the lowest part on the diff, they were worn to an angle to the point that the nut wouldnt thread on. Being dark out and -20F outside, I look through the yard and find a 96 legacy with the rear diff already missing. Grabbed the holder bolts and replaced my old smashed one.

So far I like it on ice. I hit a spot of dry pavement during a slow turn and had some BAD BAD binding on the outer tire. I'm guessing it was locked up when I turned causing the binding but I'm not sure. I'm going out tommrow to do some full on rallying and test it out to see if I like it.

Has anyone else on the board put a legacy fluid LSD in a EA style car?

I got one for my dad about 3 months ago, he loves the hell out of it, Makes a huge difference he said.

I read that the VLSD's take a few seconds to lock up, but i drove my old man's car and it hooked up allmost instantly.

my dad is 71yrs old and has one of the most bad rump roast EA82's i have seen, i got that car for him for $50.,

Dark grey, tinted windows,VLSD, rear disk break's, Webber, Soon to be lifted and power windows.

I swear that man refuses to get old, he drives like i do!:drunk:

Ahh, Subaru, brings out the child in all of us!:banana:

~CHIM~

is it really hard to convert a VLSD to a different gear set? I have a 3.9 VLSD and I want to put it in the impreza which I think has 4.11. Really i am concerned with the backlash and the gear meshing right and not having a singing rear while I go down the road. Give some tips and stuff like that.

Doing a swap at -20..... dude your hardcore.:headbang: I give up on open weather working at about 30...but then again I have problems with my hands....

Micky now has that one. I went to a straight LSD in her car too. I definately know what your saying about the ice. It was awesome on snowy roads. Enjoy, Tim

and actually, that one stayed in the lifted 87 wagon when I sold it to my buddy Russ. he loved it in the mud....

I have another VLSD, but have never put the stub axles in it yet....

I had one (3.9 VLSD) in my 86 GL-10 Turbo Sedan, I also installed a D/R out of a N/A so I needed the 3.9. I only drove it on the street, but the person that I got it from, who does some serious off roading, tried it in a car, but didn't like it, so he went to a clutch type LSD. I tend to agree that the VLSD is for road cars, not off roaders.

The 3.70 LSD will be a lot easier to find (all RXs, optional on most turbo power GLs and GL-10s, standard on 89 GL-10) then the 3.90 VLSD, the VLSD was only on one car for one year and only on the sedans, 91 Legacy SS Turbo. I've heard that there are SVXs out there with VLSDs in them, but I've never seen one, doesn't mean that they don't exist, just that I have never seen one..

Well after a few days of offroad testing on snowy trails and hills.... I LOVE IT.

It does take a second or two for the VLSD to lock up, but when it does, you can go anywhere. Powerline cuts up hill sides have been a blast. It also does good on icy paved roads.. the rump roast end likes to go around a lot more, but I love how I can launch off a red light on glare ice and still hook up.

To whoever wanted a picture of what the inside looks like, too bad. I'm not taking it back off the car and taking the case apart. I Will make it simple for you. a VLSD is just like the Center diff on a AWD Legacy. It uses clutch discs and fluid that expands to lock up the rear.

A regular 3.7 LSD uses springs. I'm not sure on the exact amount of twist before it locks up, but I think they are 1.5 turns and then both tires lock in.

I am going to convert my old 3.9 open to the 3.7 spring type LSD and try both on the ice track here pretty quick since a rear diff can be changed in 15 minutes with the 4 inch AA lift on..

Also Another tip for anyone who is changing rear diffs.. When you bolt the diff back up, put capped lug nuts on the 4 bolts that hold the front of the diff up. This will prevent the banging up of the threads like I ran into. With the lug nuts on there, it will crack the lug nut before it will ruin the studs on the bolts.

It is interesting how the VLSD makes noise when it locks up. Kinda cool that you can hear it working.

Also Another tip for anyone who is changing rear diffs.. When you bolt the diff back up, put capped lug nuts on the 4 bolts that hold the front of the diff up. This will prevent the banging up of the threads like I ran into. With the lug nuts on there, it will crack the lug nut before it will ruin the studs on the bolts.

How do you mean by that?

Cheers

AP

Torxx, great feedback and description. I want an LSD rear end in my '86 t-wagon! We don't get snow like you guys do, but the mountains and ski areas are right around the corner! :drunk: Ciao

Well after a few days of offroad testing on snowy trails and hills.... I LOVE IT.

It does take a second or two for the VLSD to lock up, but when it does, you can go anywhere. Powerline cuts up hill sides have been a blast. It also does good on icy paved roads.. the rump roast end likes to go around a lot more, but I love how I can launch off a red light on glare ice and still hook up.

To whoever wanted a picture of what the inside looks like, too bad. I'm not taking it back off the car and taking the case apart. I Will make it simple for you. a VLSD is just like the Center diff on a AWD Legacy. It uses clutch discs and fluid that expands to lock up the rear.

A regular 3.7 LSD uses springs. I'm not sure on the exact amount of twist before it locks up, but I think they are 1.5 turns and then both tires lock in.

I am going to convert my old 3.9 open to the 3.7 spring type LSD and try both on the ice track here pretty quick since a rear diff can be changed in 15 minutes with the 4 inch AA lift on..

It is interesting how the VLSD makes noise when it locks up. Kinda cool that you can hear it working.