Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My first car...project

Well here it is. I'll be getting my license on May 2nd. But I better start working on it now. Suggestions? Comments? Oh, and yes the spare tire is next to the tiny engine. It is a 1993 Subaru Loyale, all wheel drive, 5spd. manual. I'd like to be able to take it offroad someday. Any suggestions? I'm gonna bring it in to the shop so they can check what needs to be done and give me an estimate also I'll have them give me all new fluids. I also have an Alpine stereo I need to put in it. Im not the most "car literate" person in the world so give me details, tips, w/e. It needs alot of work and TLC. What kind of wipers should I get I am in desperate need of them? I really Like pretty much everything off of http://alliedarmament.homestead.com/SubParts.html however I am young (16) and money is kinda hard to make, although I do have a job. I def. wanna lift it and get big tires on it! wadda you guys suggest?

For pics of it:

http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61276

It's not a dual range, according to the pics. Swapping in a dual range trans is not a difficult job, and if you intend to off-road, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

One error in your original post is all wheel drive. It's actually not all wheel drive; it's 4 wheel drive. The difference is that 4wd is intended only for off-road or low traction conditions like ice and snow. It doesn't have a center differential, so driving it on dry roads in 4wd is not recommended, as it will give you handling problems and lead to premature parts failures.

As far as what to look for, the timing belts, any leaks, and you might want to do something to halt the rust.

By the way, welcome to the wonderful world of Subaru.

If a local shop gives free estimates its not a bad idea to have them put it on a lift and take a look. I know the guys down at my local shop so they will often look at my car for free and tell me what needs to be done to it. Then i go ahead and fix it. They also know if its something serious then they get to do it so its not like im just using them all the time and not paying them.

If a local shop gives free estimates its not a bad idea to have them put it on a lift and take a look. I know the guys down at my local shop so they will often look at my car for free and tell me what needs to be done to it. Then i go ahead and fix it. They also know if its something serious then they get to do it so its not like im just using them all the time and not paying them.
alright cool. thanks man.