Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SteelyDel Brush Guard History

subeman90

SteelyDel Brush Guards History....

As many of you know accessories for 80's model Subaru's are pretty much nonexistent or its search for a junkyard one (if they even ever made one before.)

Brushguards were a dealer available accessory for the 80-94 Style Subaru's. They didn't sell all that well from what I have found. A few different ones were available but they were very heavy and very expensive new.

If you find one in a junkyard today it will likely be a rusty hulk but if you sandblast it and paint it you will be happy with the results. Only problem is that you will likely have nearly the amount of $ a new SteelyDel guard costs invested and you will have a lot of work and time invested as well.

A Subaru and VW nut from California named Rodel created the first brush guard and mounted it on his vehicle. (See prototype page on Ultimate Subaru Website here)He created a jig and made a few at a time for persons like himself that loved their Subaru's and wanted to give it a distinct look.

The guard has a definite factory look when properly cleaned, prepped and well painted or preferably power coated (electrostatic coating). I recommend you read about powder coating/electrostatic coating on the internet prior to making a decision to paint. USRM topic here as well: Powdercoating

Rodel found the creation of the guards to be time consuming and the number of interested parties at the time he shut down was very much dwindling. He made a final run, a last call of sorts and made between 5-7 more and then quit.

He then offered the jig up to the USMB members in hopes that somebody would take over making them for the Subaru community. Living in Southern California where there are very few Subaru enthusiasts that can weld, the guard jig sat for many months. Then a few people offered to go after the jig, and I being nuts and wanting to pick up some other Subaru parts in California made the 2000 mile trip to California from Iowa and picked up the jig (and a topper and set of color matched brat doors I had wanted).

Now the jig and manufacture of the guards is being done in Colorado by a professional with 40 years experience.

If you are interested in owning one please email ShawnW@ultimatesubaru.org.