Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all--

I'm getting closer to finally having enough money saved to buy a new car, and the Legacy and Outback are very strong front-runners on my list. My problem is I insist on the following characteristics:

01. Navigation

02. Leather seating

03. Manual transmission

04. Fog lights

05. Alloy wheels

06. Moon roof

07. Fuel efficient

07. 4/5 doors

08. Mid-sized

09. Reliable

10. Side curtain airbags

11. ABS

12. Quiet riding (I hate noisy cars)

13. Smooth riding (I dislike stiff riding cars)

Subaru offers a great many of these characteristics, but the trouble is you pretty much have to get the larger, gluttonous fuel sucking engine and/or an automatic transmission to get leather and navigation. I hate that. The news is, I refuse to buy the 250 HP engine because of its offensive fuel economy. And I happen to like manual transmission and won't buy a car that doesn't offer it. Period. I don't know why not a single auto maker (except Honda and Mazda) thinks people who like manual transmissions and fuel efficiency don't deserve navigation and leather. What a crock. :mad:

So I believe it likely that I'd have to forgo leather and navigation in order to get the smaller 175 HP engine and manual transmission. Then I'd order a leather conversion kit from some aftermarket company and get the leather interior I demand, myself. I'd also find a source for the OEM Subaru navigation system and install it myself. I've done a lot of car modification and am pretty skilled in such things. I feel with an official Subaru service manual I could get navigation installed-- Just as if it had come from the factory with it. And I'm not talking about some ghetto aftermarket nav system-- I'd install the real McCoy Subaru system. True, it would be a lot of work, but I've always wanted navigation, and dammit, I've been working so hard and saving for so long I won't compromise on getting exactly what I want from my new car.

So anyway, any of you have any opinions on which car is better in terms of the above noted list, either the Legacy or the Outback?

Thanks for your thoughts on this, guys-- And sorry if I'm inflexible on things-- As said, I've been working, saving, and sacraficing for 3 years; suffering getting stranded by my current old car, having no power anything, no safety equipment, etc.. I'm dang well going to get the new car I want... even if I have to rip it to the ground to get it! :headbang:

I dare say it would be a heck of a lot less hassle to buy a different brand of car that comes with the leather, manual tranny, and nav system you want...and it may even be cheaper.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know what country you're in or how much you have to spend, but you can get a BMW X3 with the smaller engine or the diesel with all of those things you list. the first 3 items on your list are usually mutually exclusive for most cars since, as you've noticed, they come packaged together. The X3 2.5 isn't offered in the US anymore, but the way you wanted it equipped, it would have run in the upper 30's last year (less with discounts). I really don't know what engines come in an X3's that are sold in other parts of the world.

I dare say it would be a heck of a lot less hassle to buy a different brand of car that comes with the leather, manual tranny, and nav system you want...and it may even be cheaper.

I completely agree, but unfortunately NO auto maker offers exactly what I want except Honda (the Accord) and Mazda (the Mazda3).

The Accord doesn't cut it because it's…

1. Unspeakably ugly.

2. Noisy (road noise).

3. Uncomfortable (hard seats, stiff ride).

Meanwhile, the Mazda3 is…

1. Too small (rear seating is flat horrible).

2. Noisy (road noise).

3. Rides a bit too stiffly.

As for other options, I dislike the Mazda6 (interior is lousy), I can't stand Nissan design these days (ugly/cheap), Toyota is bland (and I very much detest, for instance, the Camry's interior design), and I won't buy American makes due to their established history of poor reliability and cheap construction. European makes are off the list due to their bottom-dweller reliability and bloated, overpriced nature. The likes of Acura are too expensive, and they require rip-off premium fuel. The new Toyota Camry might be an option, but I must await its release before passing personal judgment. The exterior looks good so far, but we’ll have to see how the interior shapes up. And of course how well it performs.

I quite admit I'm very demanding-- Enough so, in fact, that if an auto maker refuses to offer a car I appreciate, I'll make one myself. Screw them!

Hence, thus far I believe Subaru gets me pretty close to what I want, and I'll modify as needed-- It's worth the time, money, and effort as far as I'm concerned. I also enjoy working on cars, so such a project would be a cool challenge. And you all might have already guessed, I like the idea of defying auto makers who refuse to offer sensible options-- I’ll be damned if I’ve worked and sacrificed and saved this long only to be denied the car I’ve wanted my whole life.

The main thing I’m interested in here is opinions regarding the Outback and Legacy in terms of ride character, roominess, noise levels, and overall satisfaction. This site’s a great resource and I appreciate the experience of other owners-- Such will be helpful in determining which one to go for if Subaru ultimately turns out to be the brand I go for.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my tirade, all! I’m not trying to be difficult, as said-- I’m just the demanding sort, and I’m dead-set on making this huge purchase work.

Cheers!

European makes are off the list due to their bottom-dweller reliability and bloated, overpriced nature. The likes of Acura are too expensive, and they require rip-off premium fuel. The new Toyota Camry might be an option, but I must await its release before passing personal judgment. The exterior looks good so far, but we’ll have to see how the interior shapes up. And of course how well it performs.

Actually, you may want to check out a Saab 9-5 sedan or wagon - it has all the options you're looking for, it can run on 87 octane (with a bit less hp), and it's a Consumer Reports recommended car. And used they're quite a bargain. I think the nav system was an option starting in '04.

I quite admit I'm very demanding-- Enough so, in fact, that if an auto maker refuses to offer a car I appreciate, I'll make one myself. Screw them!

I applaud your commitment to getting the car you want :headbang:. You should make a web page or photo log about the project.

Well, I personally feel the Outback wagon is a little stiffer ride than the Legacy. Our '03 also has a little noise but I think it's the auto tranny whining so that's likely not an issue witha stick. Tires can make a big difference on noise. The stock B'stones on my WRX were much quieter than my Kumhos. One idea, If you want the leather but can't get it in the car you buy, some folks in the south and southwest want the moonroof but DON'T want leather because of the heat - you might find someone to swap seats with (at least the fronts or??) There is a marketplace forum here and many folks post WTB or WTT posts over at http://www.nasioc.com . And there may be some wrecking yards that would swap out leather for your seats and some cash - I dunno.

Id check out the new accord V6's the 6's are def. not noisy at all and have a TON of power. my coupe gets 31mpg highway and has 240hp ~ cant beat that. highway ride can be a little harsh though, but i think it makes up for it in its handeling. check out the camry, altima, maxima, infiniti G35, mazda6, 300c, Charger, and the new lexus IS class, and the new bimmer 3 series...but if u like the accord overall, you will NOT be unhappy with it!