Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Halegens to quad sealed beam?

I was going to do this mod on my 86 wagon but changed my mind (procrastination more than anything else). What you need is to go to a wrecking yard and get the entire lamp housing for both sides off a DL wagon along with the receptacles for the sealed beam units. After that it's just a matter of installing the new housings and rewiring the headlamps to accept the extra sealed beam units. I sold my pieces to baccaruda and you might ask him how it went. I think I might still have another set of dl housings if you need them.

yes, he means composite singles to sealed quads.

That thing Ed said about procrastination? It's true. I haven't put them in yet either :moon:

My excuse is that I don't have the wiring figured out. My excuse for THAT is that I haven't taken the time yet. My excuse for THAT is that it's too hard. My excuse for THAT is that I'm full of crap. And THAT I have no excuse for :brow:

I think you DID have a second set, Ed.

Hi everyone. Sorry if this question is obvious or anything, but I've never had the different Sooby generations side by side to compare...

I had an 83 Touring wagon in the past with the quad sealed-beam headlights.

Now I've got a 90 GL wagon with these sort of 12" wide flashy, built-in headlights. Are the quad headlights somehow a direct swap in?

How about these round headlights you mention Adam?

....at present I have 4x IPF rectangle sealed-beam upgrades that seem somewhat superseded. :(

Does anyone have pix of the different headlight configurations? It's very confusing because Subaru used probably every possible arrangement.

It would also make a great reference for identifying different year models.

...and BTW, it's not "hid" lights, it's "haid" lights.

(ignernt, ya'll cain't even talk good.)

jk,Adam!

I love the rectangular quads on FERTHER. I like to have the psngr side hi- beam a little hi and wide. It's good for spotting 'possums, uh, I mean street signs.

This is a really easy swap to do... I did the reverse on my DL last year. You need to get the sealed beam lights and frame that holds them, the wiring for each light, the side marker lights and wiring for them, and the little tabs that attach to each side of the grille (optional).

The headlights will bolt right on. You need to chop and splice the wiring harnesses though. The low beams have the same color wires, just a different plug. For the high beams, you'll need to find the power wire for it and splice in. Far as I know the GL's don't have a lead for it.

For the side markers- when you pull them off the car, you'll notice a little plastic square that the lower screw screws into. There's a square hole right next to it. You need to pop it out of it's hole and move it into the other one. One of the lights in the marker also has a different kind of bulb, I forget which car has the bigger one. Whichever it is, you'll need to chop and splice that one too.

For the little tabs on the grille- these were added to the DL to fill the hole between the high beam and the grille. You don't NEED them, but they're cool to have. They mount with 2 screws each on the back of the grille.

And as they say in Germany... Das ist alles.

Here's what models will interchange-

1985-1994 GL, GL-10, RX, and Loyale - big single lights

1985-1989 DL - quad lights

This applies to the sedan, wagon, and 3 door of course.

The hatches and Brats and older models with quad lights do not interchange with the later models.

I don't have a grill any more, so I don't have to wory about that. The wireing will be a snap, I'm good with that stuff. The side markers, I'm glad somone said somthing about those, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Do the low beam lamps have a "High" and "Low" element in them, or just a "Low"? I'm thinkin' if they have dual elements in the low beam lamps, I can use 4 low beam lamps and just put them on a relay and kick on all 8 elements when I need extra light!:D