Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-71 3 door coupe?

All of the "3 door coupe's" I see on here are EA-82, Is it strange that my sister has one with an EA-71 in it?

Its called an "Omega" and apart from having the 1600 I can't tell it any different to any of the others.

Its an 89 anyway and I'm pretty sure its all original.

Round here its the only one coupe I've ever seen, apart from an RX on an internet auction a while back.

Its quiet zippy in the higher rev's, less low power than my Brat but definately faster I think.

ANyWay! I looked through the engine and model pages and couldn't see anything about a 1600 3 door coupe.

Anyone else heard of one?

Heres a few pictures anyway

P1000431.jpg

P1000432.jpg

P1000433.jpg

Ha, can you guess which room is mine in the house!:-p

Kiora Cuz!

Edit: I think I've spelt the above phrase wrong. Ohh well.

And I Took some photos, loaded them onto the computer, which then died and now refuses to load past the boot screen. Agrh! f*in Compaq!

So umm yea, Ill work on it, maybe tomorrow or later tonight.....

But its definately an EA-71

yeah, the ones here in NZ are different from those in the good ol' U.S. of A. for example, my '89 GL wagon has a carb'd engine (throttle sizes are 20mm and 25mm btw) while someone on here told me the GL wagons of this year in the US are SPFI or something like that.

Apart from that, our standard halogens are square, theirs are round, eh Skip? :D

Interesting - wonder why Subaru saw fit to put an EA71 in the beast. Maybe an engine size limitation on imports in certain countries? Had some surplus stock?? I see its equipped with power steer - doesnt look like a poverty model

Yes I know most of this shape in NZ are EA82s - just curious though.

Am I right in saying most of this model they have in NZ are imported direct from Japan? Lucky sods if that is the case :-p

Ah, bloody aussies :D nah, just kidding. I'm not really a Kiwi anyway, I just live here. South African, born and bred.

well, the rumors I heard were that they assemble some cars here, but I don't know how true that is, because Subarus are assembled in Subaru factories. I don't know of any Subie factories in this corner of the world...

maybe the odd Chevron kit car, but hey :D

I remember the lack of power of this engine in my 1980 Hatchback, I can only wonder how much less responsive it must be in this heavier car.

You want some stranger combinations, just look around in some (so called) third world countries. Ask the guy who sometimes comes on this board who lives in Israel. I've heard of, but never really seen one, an Impreza with an EJ15 in it. Some countries have a tax system that taxes cars based upon the cubic displacement of thier engines, I believe Italy is one of them, and they have combinations that are seen nowhere else.

Yeah our car manfacturer Holden (GM subsiduary) makes some pretty wicked cars and exports them. Whilst in Australia these cars are 6 or 8 cylinder - but were sometimes shipped out with disgusting 4 cylinder motors. It's mad for a big car. Ford Australia has been in the same boat before.

An EJ15?? I have not even heard of that motor. Some of the EJ16s plod around Australia - I thought THAT was pushing the envelope in the power stakes. Having said that an EJ15 probably runs rings around my EA82 :D

LoL. The EA series aren't exactly the pinnacle of power I think, I have a 1500cc motor in my Nissan Sunny that makes more power and torque than my EA82 in the GL - but, that said, not very long ago, 3500cc 6-cylinders used to make even less than that. The EA82 does about 90hp, my Nissan does about 100 - but still, the EA82 is 15 years older than the Nissan, so there's not really much of a comparison there.

Don't get me wrong, I like my EA82 :D especially the sound.

I found this link to a 2005 EJ15 powered Impreza Wagon in Germany (looks like USA 2006 model).

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=135223&automobile-Subaru

Here's a place that sells bearings for an EJ15,

http://www.king-bearings.com/cat/panel/pan1991.htm

Here's one on a 1996 Impreza,

http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/subaru/impreza/1996_9/27652/

Corky is right about the taxes,displacement,Italy,etc.... but i love my 1600's power in my 4WD wagon.It's pretty remarkable.I know they're dogs in automatics.Of course my car has only 86k on it.

Now if this EA71 came fuel injected I'd be checking shipping.....and pounding my head thereafter.

Europeans don't get what we do,for the most part.And they get nifty little engines like 1300's and 1500's,etc.We should have those cars here too.

subaru used to assemble cars in NZ..i know cos i lived in the same town as the assembly plant(Waitara-of golfclub&policemen fame), they equipped some L-series stationwagons with 1600's so and it seems coupes as well....

they also did some brumbys with ea82's as special orders and at least 1 ea82t ute also special order

478.hhttp://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/auction-44620tm

a 1600 coupe for sale