Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Started conversion today

ShawnW

Correction, photos soon. Keep forgetting the camera. :)

Today I tore down the WBX engine to see what makes it such a POS. Its like an EA81 mechanically but with a whole bunch of extra garbage such as removable cyl sleeves, manifold pipes that go around like spaghetti, coolant pipes that are overdone...13 and 15MM bolts that drive a Subaru geek NUTTY as everything you see is in 12's and 14's and it keeps futzing with you. I got one piston out, looked down into the block and decided there wasnt anything worth saving and put the whole block in a scrap metal bin. I saved the mentioned piston as a souveneir and trophy but in all honesty it wasnt worth the time I spent tearing it down.

The vanaru might start at this point if I put gas in it. Yesterday I drained all the 3 year old gas, then after making the last electrical connection I hopped in got to the point of touching the key and it dawned on me that the fuel tank is bone dry now. DOH! Tomorrow is another day. :)

Not having torn down a VW engine, I really don't know much about them, but I would mention that removable cylinder liners are generally a good thing, not a hindrance. That's how they do it on all the heavy duty engines, so that you can just replace the liners instead of boring the block. Are they wet liners (where coolant actually circulates around the liner) or dry (where coolant goes through passages in the block but never touches the liner)?

Anyway, sounds like a great project. Must see pictures!

• 2 months later...

Forgot to get a speed sensor so it won't idle when warm and thus I cant take it over to smog it. Ordered it tonight.

The first major snafu I need to address is the fuel tank. It obviously hasnt been filled FULL in years....I filled it today and a 4.5' diameter puddle of unleaded showed its ugly face on the ground when the pump kicked off. :(

I think this is probably common just gotta see if the tank is rotted or if the vent hose that probably comes off the top is screwed up.

sweet... you soo need to get the letters off the back of an impreza and put them on your bus wackwards:banana:

Already got em and im thinking ill debadge the liftgate of anything VW and put the URABUS on the back.

• 2 weeks later...

IAC didnt help. I turned the throttle stop screw on the throttlebody and that helped some but it flutters at idle still. Im not 3 footing it very much anymore though.

Today I put the skylight we got from the skylight guy in Canada in and I must say this is a really nice product, nicer than the original and cheaper by ALOT than the Westfalia companies original supplier (here in the USA)

http://www.theskylightguy.com/

They tried to deliver the pop top seal that goes around the edge of the camper shell but it has a signature required on it so they didn't leave it on my very safe porch. :( Oh well piece of mind is nice for the shipper and I get it.

Well we just got back from our first camping weekend in it. More repairs and refinements to go but it is worthy already and thats all that matters.

Lake Pueblo State park. Had an electric hookup at the site and got to try out the fridge, which worked on 110V. Still havent tried putting LP in the tank to see if the stove or fridge on that mode work.