Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 hatch rear axel

Hi I had a problem with the rear wheel on a 80 hatch where the rear drum would spin on the rear spindle. It appears that the rear drum was the problem but the rear axel was also a little messed up. With the rear drive axel removed i can grab the axel a chuck it back and forth (bad bearings?) i got the ring nut off and the axel removed. Well the book shows and mentions tapered rollers and references large sealed bearing it appears mine has two bearings and a center spacer but looks different than the book. Any help out there and what is a good online parts place. Thank you Dave Fisher fishmand6284@yahoo.com

hi dave, there should be just one bearing assembly that the spindle passes through. is it possible that your bearing assembly has broken given the illusion of two bearings? or maybe i don't understand? we are talking about the spindle, bearing, drum/hub, and not realy the rear axel "halfshaft", correct?

what is the book you are refering to? i could scan what the factory service manual diagram for that model if it would help. you have a 1980 hatchback, the best car EVER made.

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes im talking about the short rear axel and not the half shaft. What i noticed after the brake drum spinning on the rear axel I could grab the axel and move it. This is when i thought the chucking back and force could have ruined the axel and bearings. ( i picked up a haynes manual 1600 & 1800) page 10-17 if you have that book). Bottom pisture shows 2 tapered bushing that go into the inear suspension. looking at the picture mine is different. there is a bearing, race,inear spacer same size as the race, race and another bearing. It came out as 1 unit since it by gentle tapping it out to the inside. After looking at it it all pressed up againt a shoulder on the axel shaft. The book references a single large sealed bearing. After getting it out i noticed that i the bearings were not all pressed together therefore the bearing were not totaly up against the races. I theb pressed this all back together and reinstalled it ibn the car and tightened the ring nut. It all seems solid now but how did it get that way??? I just got the car and havnt drivin it much yet, i like to fix everything so i can depend on it. front half shaft,rear half shaft, new drum on rear 2 wheel cynlinders, also a few patches in the floor. another day or two and i be ready to save gas and have fun. Any way the parts stores dont seem to know crap other than the number it spits out. they ordered me a front wheel drive rear drum with no spindle in the center. Do you know of any good online sites for subie parts?? anyways i think i got the problem fixed thanks alot for your help. Dave Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

The two types of bearings are interchangeable - one single peice unit - discontinued after somtime in either 83 or 84. The new bearing which is a three peice affair "superceded" the old one in all parts references when the switch was made. I've come across both, and all vehicles from 80 to 89, and 90-94 loyales use the same part number now. At any rate, the haynes manual only shows one type or the other. Installation is the same with either type so no worries.

Yours was probably replaced at some point with the three peice unit.

Incidentally, the bearing is torqued into it's race by the drum, so if you remove the drum the outer bearing will just slide off - giving the illusion that it's "loose" as you describe. Reinstalling the drum tightened it back up, and thus the magic of mechanics lays itself bare for all to see eh? Ah but I digress.