Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Loyale rear wheel alignment

My trusty 1991 Loyale is burning through rear tires at an extraordinary rate - very uneven tire wear. I took it to the shop to have the rear wheels aligned but they told me it could not be aligned. They said the shocks were in decent shape and all looked good. 1) Can the rear-end of a Loyale be aligned; 2) if not, how do I fix this unever tire wear. She only has 130k miles on her.

They CAN be aligned! I slid into a median barrier with my 86 Subaru on the interstate after hitting an icy spot on a curve. The rear end wondered all over the road after that mishap so I took it into a GOOD alignment shop. They had a difficult time bending the suspension back into alignment but after they finished, the car drove good, didn't wonder and the tires wore evenly. I also took a double axle gooseneck trailer with solid axles to an alignment shop. They had to put hydraulic presses on the axles to bend them but it worked. There isn't anything that can't be aligned IF you go to a good alignment shop that wants the work. Tire shops are a ripoff - don't even consider going there unless it's a very small town and even then I'd be very wary.

They had a difficult time bending the suspension back into alignment but after they finished, the car drove good, didn't wonder and the tires wore evenly.

Sorry, i define alightment by factory adjustable, not being able to hack the car back into a similar shape to what it was.

Tire stores won't get it right, in my experience.

excuse me but i don't know what tire store you go too but i would change. i so happen to work at a tire store, in the alignment shop and yes i do know how to do alignments including 4 wheel and i do them right and the only subarus that can't take a 4 wheel alignments are the loyale and older models. they don't have rear adjustments for toe but you can get cams for adjusting rear camber and adjustable srtut reods for adjusting front caster. yes, if its a lagecey it can have a four wheel alignment done, i would take it some were else and if they do their job right and give a print out with before and after specs i would go back to the other place and get your money back, sounds like your toe is off.

an 86 doesn't have much for adjustments you probably went to a shop that had a frame machine that does frame alignments, most auto repair shops including tire stores have a standard alignment machine for automotive use.

rht009

you might have to go a frame/body shop to make sure your subframe is straight first then get a suspension alignment.

Sorry, i define alightment by factory adjustable, not being able to hack the car back into a similar shape to what it was.

That's like saying body shops hack things back into a similar shape to what it was. There's good body shops and lousy ones. A good alignment shop doesn't hack. They bend whatever is out of whack back to where the factory intended just like a good body shop does.

Actually, if you read the FSM, it is factory adjustable - there are three bolts that attach the outer trailing arm to the inner trailing arm - there is adjustment to the alignment if you take those bolts loose (mind you, you will have a tough time getting the two arms loose from each other) - there is not much adjustment, but you can at least adjust tow-in (burns up inner or outter edge of tire typically) and maybe even some camber or caster

there is a good chance that your spring preload is improperly adjusted, (yes, those are also adjustable on these) and that can burn tires as well

the rear suspension bushings can also go out, and cause misalignment