Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting Project Hatch started

I recently got a great deal on a hatch from Jon aka (75Subie) The car is now on the road with 200,000+miles :D Thought I would like to share some photos.

DriverSide.jpg

That's her sitting in garage bay two, getting some TLC done: Oil change, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, and some vavle adjustment. Also got some mint hatch tail lenses from Gabe (JunkYardGabe) had to replace two cracked ones to get it DOT approved :cool:

Rear1.jpg

Theres the back of the car, over all it's the cleanest hatch I've owned. One small crack in the windsheild and a few dents here and there, couldn't find rust on the outside.

Doorbottom.jpg

Doorrail.jpg

After washing out the door edges and sills you can see theres no signs of rust or bondo anywhere. Man was I pleased with it! You west coaster's might not think much of it, but here on the east side where salt is winter's king this is amazing!

FloorPan.jpg

Just a little mud on the floor pan, Gee wonder how it got from the logging trails out back onto my car :rolleyes: BTW this is after a power washing.

swaybar.jpg

One ball joint was iffy so I replaced them both. Though the sway bar mounts, shocks, and even brakes where all good. Impressed I was this thing doesn't get any better! For 200,000 plus miles this thing was in tip top shape. There are only a couple of things wrong with it that I could find.

Ypipe.jpg

Exhaust.jpg

While driving down the highway I notice I was becoming slightly intoxicated, I quickly opened my windows and got some fresh air. This made it very easy to tell I had a slight exhaust leak somewhere. It's actually right where the Ypipe meats there, nothing a little welding can't cure though. Not bad for the OEM from factory exhaust wouldn't you say?

Engine.jpg

Yep there's the engine, needs some degreaser for sure. This was the only down side to the car. Everything and I mean everything on this beauty works great, except it's got the slight tick of death going on. Yep what a bummer.... well at least for some of us :D After some vavle adjusting it got a little quiter, it still has plenty of subaru low end grunt, but around 4500 RPM it shakes quite a bit and looses power. After doing a Compression check I found that cyclendar number 4 has only got 21 PSI :-\ The spark plugs threads are also almost completely stipped out on that cyclendar, and adjusting that vavle seems to have little to no effect. For running on 3 though it's got some marbles though, gotta love a boxer.

So what to do... hmmm PERFECT! drop in a currently being rebuilt motor, BYB lift kit, WRX blue paint job, New Seats, Toyota rims with TLR's, and a 3.9 ratio LSD/5 speed... I think that will make her perfecto!

Have a 264/220 cam going into her, decking, porting, and polishing the heads. Making a custom Maderal bent Y-Pipe and mounting on a set of moded VW dual webers, with a MSD Off road ignition system and high voltage coil to light her up. That should make her Cherry for now! I'll put up some more pics when I get to the next stage :D Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to get some of this done, wish me luck eh?

Peace, Fishums

PS: Bay three wants to say hi!

Bug.jpg

Me low rider bugger :cool:

boy that is one clean sube:brow: :lol: wish it was still in my driveway:banghead: lol

looking forward to the progress on it, it should be pretty sweet when its all done, i need to get me another compression tester, i really didn`t notice the low compression driving it the little that i did.

-Jon

It's all good Jon, I'm 125% happy with this car. And honestly when you drive the car it's really hard to tell that there is anything going on with the compression, it's still damn smooth even with the low PSI on number 4. Only when your doing hard acceleration in the upper RPM's can you really even feel it.

I'm just as happy with this one as the last one I got from you, If I'm going to buy a third one it's a safe bet it's going to be from you :-p .

Thanks man! Fishums

Very nice Hatch!

Sounds very close to what I'm doing / want to do. (EA-81 with 1600 pistons, low end Delta cam, Custom intake, etc, In my lifted 84 Hatch)

I'm interested in your intake/ dual Weber setup. You gotta post pics when that's together.

Personally, I've been toying with the idea of dual Side Draft Webers, (they just look so cool.) but the VW Downdrafts would be awfully pretty too.

i'm starting a project on a hatch in may. right now my hatch is my dd, soon though it's gonna be a 4x4. got the trans and all the rear end parts, just need a driveshaft and shop to work in. that or the weather needs to clear up a whole bunch. also i'm switching from AT to 4spd at the same time, not quite sure what to expect.

Very nice Hatch!

Sounds very close to what I'm doing / want to do. (EA-81 with 1600 pistons, low end Delta cam, Custom intake, etc, In my lifted 84 Hatch)

I'm interested in your intake/ dual Weber setup. You gotta post pics when that's together.

Personally, I've been toying with the idea of dual Side Draft Webers, (they just look so cool.) but the VW Downdrafts would be awfully pretty too.

Yeah Side Draft webers are pretty sweet, there is actually a set for my fathers MGA that I have often drooled over :slobber: I'm thinking the VW down draft style would look sweet with twin custom hood scoops to poke their little air filter heads through the hood would be sweet though ;) Plus it might be the closest thing I can get to a snorkel without a gaudy plastic menis out the side of my fender :cool: No offense to those of you that like them, I just find them unattractive for street use.

Sounds like a few of you have some sweet projects going on. Post up some pictures I'd love to see them!

PEace, Fishums

PS: Darn that BYB kit not currently in stock :D