Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey everyone, i was flipping throught my shop manual, and saw a part about towing, and how you put the fuse in to put it into front wheel drive mode, can you drive the car like this? if so will it hurt anything? can i install a switch so that i can turn it on and off at will?

To use it, you just need to find the fuse holder in the engine bay marked "FWD" iirc it's near the passenger strut tower??

It is not meant to tow your Soob, it's only real purpose is if you have one or more tires of a different size (spare).

Other than that there is no real benefit to running in front wheel drive unless you want to impress the chicks by chirping the front tires:rolleyes:

its more impressive when you chirp all four, in two wheel i could roast them right off:burnout::headbang:. i was just wondering about it, cuz front wheel drive reverse dounts are fun. :banana:, but will it hurt the car by driving it in FWD mode for extended periods of time?

its more impressive when you chirp all four, in two wheel i could roast them right off:burnout::headbang:. i was just wondering about it, cuz front wheel drive reverse dounts are fun. :banana:, but will it hurt the car by driving it in FWD mode for extended periods of time?

Many people claim problem free driving using the fuse for extended periods, but unless you have a desperate need to do so there is no benefit. You will not save gas, you will not get better performance, and you risk prematurely burning out the solenoid, leaving yourself in permanent 4wd mode. Not a good thing.