Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Code 35: which solenoid valve?

Hey guys,

About three weeks ago I got code 21 for the coolant temp sensor. I was having hard starts and fuel odours. Replaced the sensor and all that went away. Great.

Now I'm getting code 35 for a solenoid valve. The Haynes manual calls this the purge control solenoid valve, but refers to the section on EGR control solenoid.

Anyone shed some light on this? And advice on what to do about it?

Thanks

The purge control solenoid controls the passing of gas vapours to the charcoal canister. If it goes bad (stuck closed) it could result in hard starts, you can also get fuel odors since the canister can become saturated since the fumes won't be drawn into the motor for combustion.

Should only be 2 hoses and maybe a wire or two, not sure where it would be though..

It's located near the coolant temp sensor you already replaced.

Under the intake manifold on the right (passengers LHD) side.

Two small rubber hoses and a two wire plug are connected to it. One of those hoses comes from the top of the trottle housing.

Just a thought, mabe one of the hoses or a wire was broken while you replaced the coolant sensor?

Urban.

The PV Solenoid is under the intakes on top of the engine, passenger side, you can see the two little hoses and the plug if you look between the pipes. Its easy to get out but a bitch to get back in. You need about a 10" extension on your ratchet to get at it from the rear of the engine. I don't remember what size the nut is holding it on but a previous post mentioned the size. The hard part is getting that nut to start after you replace the PVS. BTW, my check engine light was on for over a year cause I never got around to changing it. Never noticed any improvement in mileage or performance once I did except that the CEL ain't on anymore. YMMV

Ok, I think I get it. As I understand it, there is no EGR system on my particular vehicle. I have located the solenoid valve under the intake manifold pipes with the little rubber hoses doing 180 degree bends. It does look like a tight area to work in. Looks like the bolt has clear access, though so should be able to stack up extensions to reach it. First thing though will be to clear the codes and see if it comes back.

It's nothing to lose sleep over, my Legacy had a CEL on for over a YEAR carrying that code. (That was when I was working min. wage and could barely afford gas:banghead: ) It apparently was a very troublesome part, as it's been hashed over here before.

The part is a dealer-only valve that costs about $80 and I didn't do it myself, that was before I had any mechanical aptitude... So I can't vouch for its difficulty of replacement, but it looks hard :lol:

For what it's worth, I found an industrial type 12v solenoid valve in the McMaster-Carr catalog for about $17.00 that I think would work in place of the $80.00 (you gotta be s***ttin' me!) OEM part. The next time I replace one, and apparently it's a fairly problem, I'm going to try one. If you're interested, I can look up the part # and post it here.

Thanks, Brettm57. For now I have reset the code and have driven about 1000 km since and nothing has come up. The hard starts I had before were due to the water temp sensor which was done. It now starts right away, like it always did.

Still haven't done the e-test. Work, etc don't leave much time...

As though it KNEW what I wrote on the board, my car threw me the code on the way home today, and on the next trip out later on. So it's replacement time. I'm looking for confirmation of the part #. I lifted the number off the valve under the intake manifold pipes on the RHS and got 14774AA350. I talked to the local parts guy and he says it is superseded by 14774AA351. I wanted to confirm this is the right part, since the Legacy parts sheet shows this valve as #4 on p. 344 (Emission components), but there isn't an intake manifold shown in dashed lines or anything like that, which would have located it.

I appreciate everyone's patience toward this thread which has probably been around longer than it should have been.