Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Everyone, my 98 OB has switches for the heated seats but do not appear to be connected to anything. There is wiring under the seats but I don't know what it connects to. I also have another switch by the heated seat switches that does not appear to be connected to anything. Anyone know why the switches are installed but not functional? Thanks

There were 2 flavors of 98 Outback; Outback and Outback Limited.

The base model did not come with heated seats. That was part of the All Weather Pkg (previously called the Cold Weather Pkg I think). It also provided heated mirrors and a heated windshield strip for the wipers.

I don't know if the Limited came standard with the heated seats or not. Check www.cars101.com for info.

I can't comment as to why you seemingly have non working switches. Are the seats still original?

Commuter

The switches pop out easily, or you can partially unbolt the console and make sure they are connected to the wiring harness.

The lights are probably burned out. Do a search on Climate Conrol lights and you will see how to replace them.

The seats take time to heat up, as they arent instant on. Drive with them on for 30 minutes to give them plenty of time to heat up.

Ods are if you have the switches, you have heated seats. On the passenger seat (looking from the drivers seat) there will be a cable on the left side of the seat that goes to the seatback (at least my 97 has that).

It is possible that the heaters are blown or you never gave them a chance to come on. Try the "high" setting first.

nipper