Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 vs. EA81 pistons; differences and compression increase?

Guest Brettm57

Guest Brettm57

I've seen on some different websites that EA71 pistons will interchange with EA81 pistons, and give an increase in compression. My question is, what exactly is the difference in the pistons, and what is the compression ratio with the swap? Does it create any valve clearance problems?

Guest RTFMharpua

I don't think there are any valve clearance issues either because you can still mill the heads with the ea71 piston swap.

Guest Brettm57

So then is the wrist pin height the same between the 1600 and 1800 pistons, and the 1600 connecting rods shorter than 1800 rods to make the deck height right? If the gain in compression ratio is only 0.3, It sounds to me like that must be it. Are the 1600 pistons domed at all? Doing some quick math, milling the heads about .015" would make the same compression increase. Can anyone verify this for me?

Thanks.

Guest GeneralDisorder

but if you mill the heads much, the intake will not fit. Not impossible to fix, but the 1600 pistons do allow you to keep the stock heads. Which is nice if you ever want to replace one.

GD