Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Steering Pump Pressure

I am converting a different car to PS and am looking at small area (space) PS pumps with off-pump reservoirs. Anyone know the pressure output of Ru PS pumps and is there different pressures from different pumps/years or they "all the same"

thanks

Bill

(87 XT)

I am converting a different car to PS and am looking at small area (space) PS pumps with off-pump reservoirs. Anyone know the pressure output of Ru PS pumps and is there different pressures from different pumps/years or they "all the same"

thanks

Bill

(87 XT)

Not sure, but have you considered locating the electric power steering from an XT6?

GD

Not sure, but have you considered locating the electric power steering from an XT6?

GD

nope...wasn't aware XT6 was electric PS...will investigate...anyone know the pressure of these?

I need to be in the 800-1200 psi range for best performance

Bill

You are probably going to have to start looking at factory service manuals for this info - sorry but I don't have any that are appropriate. Thing is, the Subaru PS pumps are near indestructible, and so are the racks. I think that possibly they could outlast the engine and the body of the car several times over. I have never seen or even heard of one failing (not talking XT6 here). It is quite the mystery as to exactly what magic the Subaru gods put into the PS system - probably have a power steering fairy that sprinkles them with magical fairy fluid as they roll off the assembly. :clap:

GD

I looked at my FSM for 1988 Subaru XT.

For the 1800cc XT:

Regular Pressure: 142 PSI

Relief and working pressure: 853-1067 PSI

For the XT6 w/ Electric P/S pump:

Relief and working pressure: 967-1067 PSI

I'm not sure what those values mean, but I'm sure you do. I'd be willing to bet that the XT uses the same p/s pump as other EA-82s.

The XT6 has an electric power steering pump with varying pressure called the 'cybrid' system. If you use the XT6 power steering pump, make sure you use a bottle of the special power steering fluid straight from the dealership designed for these. ATF eats away at the seals.

Here's a thread discussing similar conversions

I looked at my FSM for 1988 Subaru XT.

For the 1800cc XT:

Relief and working pressure: 853-1067 PSI

For the XT6 w/ Electric P/S pump:

Relief and working pressure: 967-1067 PSI

thank you thank you! !!!!!