Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to remove rear view mirror

Are you talking about the roof mounted rearview mirror in the interior or the door mounted side mirrors on the outside? For the side mirrors, if it has never been removed before the three screws holding it to the door can be very hard to break free. When I tried with just a large screwdriver by hand, the phillips heads started to strip. After my cussing turned into cursing I went and got an impact screwdirver. The kind you hit with a hammer. It is definately the right tool for the job.

The rearview mirror on the inside is not as tough. Just pop off the trim piece and remove one screw and it should come out. Good luck.

I did not find those screws hard.

Here's a link, its for 96 legacy, but I'm pretty sure 98 is the same.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1e/78/67/0900823d801e7867.jsp

It has a picture. You will have to remove the door trim panel before you start. And be extra careful and slow in removing door corner finisher panel. It just sits in sockets but those a pretty tight, and if you pry it too hard it can break.