Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Headlights won't go off

Subi

I have a "new" Subarau Loyale stationwagon, and the headlights won't turn off while the car is on.

In the off position, the headlights are on, but the inside gauges are not lit up. In the dim position, the headlights are off, but the low level dim lights are on and the gauges are lit up. In the on position, the headlights are on like in the off position and the gauges are lit up. The high beams also work. The only problem is that I cannot get my headlights to turn off while the car is on. If this were a new car, I'd figure it was supposed to do that, but it's a a trusty Loyale and I suspect this should not be happening. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

Sounds like somebody wired the low beams as daylight running lamps, or your car was factory that way. Don't worry, lots of people don't bother to tell us what year or model we are dealing with, just expect us to make wild guesses and waste space. Doesn't sound like you have a problem anyway, DRLs are just a safety thing, like seat belts, bumpers, signal lights etc.

In Canada, daytime running lights have been required on all cars 1990 and newer.

It sounds like yours aren't factory DRLs, at least not the Canadian style. My '92 Loyale has the headlights on all the time. In the 'off' and 'dim' position, the headlights are on, but they are dimmer than when the switch is in the 'on' position.

Also, pulling the e-brake with the switch in 'off' or 'dim' will turn the headlights off (good for when you're at the drive-in on a cool night).