Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy, automatic 2.2 normally aspirated 16vaulve engine.

Rear differential exploded the oither night, and local garage gave a very rough, undetailed guestimate of $500 - probably more.

My Haynes manual doesnt give gear ratios.

My questions: Are the differentials marked well enough to still find the numbers after 11 years in Wisconsin, or what is the most probabl proper ratio?

What is a reasonable price for a used differential?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Steve

The correct ratio for your rear differential is 3.9, I'm 99.9% sure that any differential from a 90 to 94 legacy with an Automatic transmission will be a direct replacement. Do not use one from a manual transmission Legacy since they have a 4.11 ratio. The price for a good used differential is going to very by location. Here in the PNW I wouldn't expect to pay more then $150.

Now I do have to ask, what did you do to make your go bad? The rear differential used on Legacys almost never fails and the only way I know of them to fail under normal driving is to run them with out oil.

I must be cornfused. :banana:

Legacy is a 90, not 92.

Differential death appears to have been caused by a lack of lube - sharp and burnt pinion gear fell out as it was drivien onto the trailer today.

Moms car - she said there is (was) a grinding noise in the rear, but the car never sat still long enough for me to look. Oil changed but no full lube.

Im guessing the grinding in the rear was the differential.

As it is the original ratio sticker is nearly intact - 4.111, and a part number.

Good news:

Turns out one of dads friends has a line on a salvage yard and we are getting an whole 90 Legacy wagon for $150 - $200.

the donor car is a manual, and ratio sticker says 4.111 and has the same part number as the original.

I will be comming back here for more answers though - I'm glad I caught up with this bbs.

Thanks

Steve

as uaual with used cars, no owners manual - only a Haynes.

She got it in March of 2002.

The tranny got replaced (used, not rebuilt) in July of 2002. I have not looked to check if there is a label. Being an automatic, I dont think we can find out by turning wheels or input shaft. I will look into this for sure.

The rear diff. still had the tag, despite 50% of it was over the hole where material was smashed out.

The three legacy wagons in the salvage yard all have 4.111 rear diffs, two are manual, one is auto. Two have 16 valve motors (010 designation on the placard), the other has an 030 designation. [i could be wrong on the designation numbers]

Thanks for the help.

Steve :banana:

found another automatic marked 4:11. that is a pretty stiff rear gear for an auto.

I learned about gear ratios by accident when I was a kid. Someone gave me a Rambler wagon with a six and three speed overdrive, and someone else gave me a six automatic sedan.

Myself and a couple of friends energetically changed this rusty old torque tube rear end from the auto into the stick wagon.

You could go about 60 MPH in first after slipping the clutch like mad to get going. Second was good till it topped out at around 80

from lack of engine power, and third was an overdrive. The only time you could engage the overdrive was down a steep hill.

I read axle tags after that.

4.11 is what is in the legacy sedan already - the blown diff anyway.

The tranny doesnt have a ratio on the outside that I can see, but it has the same designation as the auto tranny legacy wagon in the salvage yard, that also has a 4.11 rear diff.

anyone have a way to tell the tranny ratio for sure without taking it apart?

Steve