Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car Multi-sensor digital guage *added models & price ranges*

Hey all, just gauging interest in a product I'm developing for mine and a friends' cars.

It will be a stand-alone unit capable of reading many different aspects of our cars. It will have a harness with all the sensors you will have to hookup to the various places on the car.

It will include at the very least:

temperatures:

see model specs below

other:

-voltage

-Time/date display

-alert buzzer

-SD card socket

-backlit display (may even come on with the headlights)

maybe in the future? (or enough interest)

-turbo timer

-02 sensor monitor

-video display (also interest?)

The display will be on a 4x20 character screen, similar to this one: (http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/2004a/index.html#CFAH2004ANYAJP)

We haven't worked out how everything will be displayed, but it will probably have several static sensors displayed, with the rest cycling through a spot on the display. It may also be partially user configurable, with several buttons to hold different display patterns. It will probably have a mix of digital displays and bar graphs/needles, as well as the actual value.

Navigation will be menu driven through a set of 5 (or so) buttons.

The unit itself be approximately 5.25"W x 2"H x 1.5"D, or roughly the size of a 5.25" drive bay on a computer. It should fit nicely on top of the steering column between the wheel and the dash. We don't think that will block any of the stock gauges while still being in a good viewing area for the driver.

The buzzer will alert the driver that one of the values is outside of user configurable ranges. (it won't be real annoying, just enough to get your attention :-))

It will most likely also have a socket for an SD card that will allow you to log the temperatures/pressures vs. time & speed into a file easily imported into Excel.

Most of all, it will have ACCURATE sensor readings. We all know how good the stock temperature/oil pressure gauges are :-/

As for price... we're trying really hard to keep it under $300. If enough people are interested (typically 10+), we can get more parts at once and save money that way.

Time frame for actual production... depends a lot on the interest in it... but is at least a couple months out from now. We're still gathering ideas as to what all it should contain.

So, my overriding question is... would anyone be interested in something like this? How much would you be willing to pay for it?

any other questions or comments?

Thanks,

-Dave

edit to add models & price information:

All models will have time & date display, backlit display, and warning buzzer with user configurable bounds, in addition to the sensors listed below.

These prices are not set in stone yet, but they are what we're trying to achieve.

base model: ~$200-225

-water temp

-oil pressure

-volts

-rpm

-general purpose temp sensor (most anything but exhaust)

-fan relay

Mid model: ~$300

-oil temp

-water temp

-ambient temp

-intake temp

-oil pressure

-intake pressure

-volts

-rpm

-afr

-TT (turbo timer)

-SD socket

-general purpose temp sensor

-fan relay x2

High end model: ~$450

-oil temp

-water temp

-exhaust temp

-ambient temp

-block temp

-trans temp

-intake temp

-oil pressure

-intake pressure

-fuel pressure

-water pressure

-volts

-rpm

-speedo

-afr

-TT

-SD socket

-general temp sensor

-fan relay x2

Very High End model: ~$500+?

(this is one is not set in stone yet. Basically, this could be a special order model; you tell us what you want, we'll build it)

-oil temp

-water temp

-exhaust temp xY

-ambient temp

-block temp xY

-trans temp

-intake temp x2

-oil pressure

-intake pressure x2

-fuel pressure

-water pressure

-volts

-rpm

-speedo

-afr

-TT

-SD socket

-general temp sensor

-fan relay xY

Interested. Don't have a turbo, of course, so not picky about that part, but like the idea of real digital values for engine coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, rpm, 02 sensor, volts, amps, etc.

From a marketing perspective, I am guessing the closer to $200 it is, the better it will sell and the more serious interest you will have. $300 would probably be the absolute limit at which I would be interested. Under $250, you really have my interest, and $200 I think people will beat the doors down. Just my 2c. I am not educated as to the costs and labor involved.

A backlit display would be nice for night time.

I really like the warning audio idea. Some of us were mentioning on an unrelated thread the other day that an audible warning system for oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, etc would be great.

A really cool enhancement that is probably not practical to implement but since we're on the idea thing, would be some sort of fuel use rate gauge, ie MPG or estimated MPG functionality...

Great idea and look forward to hearing more as you progress.

If it will do coolant, oil, and exhaust temperature, as well as oil and fuel pressure, vacuum/boost, and a very accurate voltage reading (this is critical in my opinion), I'd spend $200 on one, give or take a few dollars. I like to know what's going on with my engines, and messing around with a combination of aftermarket gauges is just a pain. Having one unit that could do all that would be wonderful.

I would recommend trying to make a "basic" one with just a few functions that's cheaper, in addition to the "full-featured" model. I think a lot of the people on here, which tend to be, um, "thrifty", would go for a less expensive version.

I would recommend trying to make a "basic" one with just a few functions that's cheaper, in addition to the "full-featured" model. I think a lot of the people on here, which tend to be, um, "thrifty", would go for a less expensive version.

Agreed. I personally don't care much about downloads, SD socket, etc. I just want accurate real-time digital data on basic functions.

Matt

I'm interested. Depends on final price and features of course.

Is that rough $300 figure including the sensors?

yep, final price would have all the sensors (more or less) ready to hook up.

Talked to the friend I'm designing this with, and we will probably go with a couple different units with different options. We haven't entirely decided what would be included in each level yet.

I would also be verry intersted if it could easily adapted to a V8's needs (aka exhaust temp x 8, etc)

:eek: exhaust x8? That'll bring the cost up at least $160 in just parts. If you're still interested I'm sure we can work something out though, it just won't be cheap(er) :)

Speaking of... the majority of the cost involved is the actual sensors (most are $10-15 each in semi-small quantities). Soo... some of the features are inexpensive, some are expensive, and the final price is based on that.

thanks for the all the interest & questions!

-Dave

any chance it would work with the existing sendors?

I suppose it could be made to work with some of the stock sensors... but the whole idea was to get away from them and get some good accurate sensors in there.

Of course, if enough people are interested, I can can buy more stuff at once and drop the price down (sometimes significantly) just by buying in bulk.

:eek: exhaust x8? That'll bring the cost up at least $160 in just parts. If you're still interested I'm sure we can work something out though, it just won't be cheap(er) :)

Speaking of... the majority of the cost involved is the actual sensors (most are $10-15 each in semi-small quantities). Soo... some of the features are inexpensive, some are expensive, and the final price is based on that.

-Dave

Well considering what the options are, your price seems pretty good, and I like the fact that it has a display, so you dont need a laptop to read it. Have you looked into what costs would be to add a data record function?

Well considering what the options are, your price seems pretty good, and I like the fact that it has a display, so you dont need a laptop to read it. Have you looked into what costs would be to add a data record function?

data logging? already planning on having that feature :) Since I have most of the stuff (code) for that already, it shouldn't add too much to the price.

code = one time expense = cheap(er)

hardware = recurring expense = expensive

This might be already posted and I missed it, when would these be ready for sale, is it still a couple months out?

Also, does afr stand for air/fuel ratio? If so, is it going to be a wide band or narrow band O2 I am assuming?

Something I have added to my analog gauges is an activation of an LED when it reaches a spot in its sweep. Can this be easily done with this application instead of a buzzer or along with a buzzer? Not meaning to complain or criticize, just curious. :)

This might be already posted and I missed it, when would these be ready for sale, is it still a couple months out?

Also, does afr stand for air/fuel ratio? If so, is it going to be a wide band or narrow band O2 I am assuming?

Something I have added to my analog gauges is an activation of an LED when it reaches a spot in its sweep. Can this be easily done with this application instead of a buzzer or along with a buzzer? Not meaning to complain or criticize, just curious. :)

We're still in the design phase, and at least a couple months out from actual production. We'll hopefully have a prototype working within a month.

yep, AFR is for air/fuel ratio. We'll most likely have the option of reading either a narrowband or wide band sensor, and displaying the calculated AFR.

I was already considering adding an LED to act as the warning in addition/opposed to the buzzer. Will go ahead and do it now :) Was also planning on letting the user disable the buzzer if desired.

Thanks for the questions,

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be great if it had a shift warning led or sumthin like that also as you mentioned, that would help alot. Also would we have the option of choosing the LCD diplayed we want? I feel the inverted black with great text would be much easier to read during the night. I would be down for one of these also though, would be nice if it had a g-sensor though :brow:

I think it would be great if it had a shift warning led or sumthin like that also as you mentioned, that would help alot. Also would we have the option of choosing the LCD diplayed we want? I feel the inverted black with great text would be much easier to read during the night. I would be down for one of these also though, would be nice if it had a g-sensor though :brow:

+1

A shift light? Sure, shouldn't be too hard. User defineable rpm to turn on at?

For the LCD, you could choose from one of these two: http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/2004k/index.html#CFAH2004KYYHJP

A G-sensor? pretty much like a G-Tech? We've talked about it, but not much else. We'll have to see if we even have room for it on the board. If we did include one, it would probably add a decent chunk to the total price, and/or may not arrive until a couple product generations down the road.

thanks for the interest!

-Dave