Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 subaru gl

Guest Tbone965

Guest Tbone965

I have a 1886 subaru gl, I have a right front whell that was making quite a racket ( sounded like the wheel was going to fall off) now the rattling isnt quite as bad, but I notice a humming -to- rattling when Im around 40 mph and higher, and when I let off the gas, it sways to the right, then back to the left...axle? bearings? supposedly had new cv joints put in right before I bought it. Thanx!

Guest GeneralDisorder

lift the car and try to shake the wheel in and out while grasping it from the top. If it moves at all, then your bearings are shot. Otherwise - sounds like it's dragging some - could be brakes. Or possibly an inner DOJ on the axle.

GD

Guest tomrhere

Check the tightness of the axle nut. Torque spec is 140 FtLb, or more.. Mine were slightly loose, and caused the same motion of vehicle when letting off of the throttle. Will also cause some noise if loose enough, and will lead to the hub being damaged if let go long enough.....Tom

Guest MilesFox

I second tom.

before my seattle trip i replaced my axles with ones off jim's subaru, and the thread was a little wollered, causing the rotor to slightly rub agaunst the brake pad mount. jack up the car and pull the wheel in and out and see if it had any play. or take the tire off and do the same to the rotor. the axle nut should be on enough that you can see the cotter pin hole clearly and without obstruction.