Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EDIT: Weber 32/36 DFEV DONE, but issues...

Hi guys! I picked up an ea81 about a year ago and finally managed to finish my carb setup. The vehicle came to me disassembled with no carb and the intake manifold off. So, after searching on here I decided to pick up a Weber and rebuild it, along with an ea82 manifold.

I thought I was getting a DGEV but as it turns out I got a DFEV, but with a little creative thinking this actually worked out better than a DGEV would've. I had to extend the throttle cable using some model airplane control cable , but it'll work just fine.

Fabbed up the adaptor plate and got the thing running this weekend! I haven't touched the car for over four months, time has been slightly lacking :-\ But she runs! I gutted a LOT of extra parts from the engine bay and it is MUCH cleaner. Amazing how much electrical crap you can pull off these early ECU/Carb'd motors and have them run just fine :D.

Anyone know if having the o2 sensor disconnected will affect anything? EGR + spark advance is vacuum controlled, PCV is piped into the intake mechanically, so I am not sure what would be controlled by the ECU so having the o2 sensor in the system might be moot... Experiences?

Also, input on whether a fuel pressure regulator is necessary? I've read some conflicting opinions, but I still have the stock pump on there. A) does my carb need more fuel, and if so, what pumps are normally used (I assume I need a regulator with a higher capacity pump)? B) do I need a regulator with the stock pump? I do not have a return line hooked up from the carb. right now, just a supply line...

I believe the Weber came out of a toyota pickup, so I plan on checking the jets and rejetting if necessary to make her run a little better. I'll pick up an air cleaner and take some pictures tonight. Gotta change the oil again and go through brakes, suspension, etc. for roadworthiness next week.

Thanks for everyone's great research and posts, and help along the way.

Aaron

Make sure your PCV system is also vented to atmosphere, not just plummed to the intake through the PCV valve. I blew a front crankshaft seal because I overlooked this. :eek:

I have my o2 snsor disconnected with no ill effects.

I put a fuel pressure regulator on mine because Weber almost insisted. It's set to 2 PSI and it seems to work well. Picked it up at an auto parts store for about 15 bucks (or somthing like that).

Note: I think the problem in running without a fuel pressure regulator is getting too much fuel to the carb and flooding it out, especially during hard driving. Sort of counterintuitive eh?

My EGR is disconected and plugged for now but I'm thinking I'm going to block it off based on reading other posts in this forum.

I put a fuel pressure regulator on mine because Weber almost insisted. It's set to 2 PSI and it seems to work well. Picked it up at an auto parts store for about 15 bucks (or somthing like that).

Note: I think the problem in running without a fuel pressure regulator is getting too much fuel to the carb and flooding it out, especially during hard driving. Sort of counterintuitive eh?

Hmm this might be my problem. My weber uses a LOT of fuel. A regulator might be the go.

OK, so I'm trying to tune/adjust this carburetor, and having some issues. It starts right up, idles a little high (I can adjust the mixture screw for that, I think) but it dies after a little while. I'm not touching anything. It dies before the electric choke even starts to move. Any ideas on where to start? I followed these instructions for setting it up and I think I got everything set right... I'm new to carb'd motors so not sure where I need to begin troubleshooting. Also, I noticed after it shuts off, there are lots of bubbles in the fuel filter :confused: Help!

Thanks!

Aaron

OK, so I'm trying to tune/adjust this carburetor, and having some issues. It starts right up, idles a little high (I can adjust the mixture screw for that, I think) but it dies after a little while. I'm not touching anything. It dies before the electric choke even starts to move. Any ideas on where to start? I followed these instructions for setting it up and I think I got everything set right... I'm new to carb'd motors so not sure where I need to begin troubleshooting. Also, I noticed after it shuts off, there are lots of bubbles in the fuel filter :confused: Help!

Thanks!

Aaron

Hmm check your primary idle jet on the side of the carburettor (on the the side of the primary barrel) - it unscrews and you can pull it for from its holder. Check that it isnt blocked - they are a very small jet.

The idle jet is clean. I started tinkering around with the carb, and examined all the jets again (as I forgot to get sizes last time anyway). I noticed that the linkage from the primary throttle lever to the fast idle lever/screw was really loose. So I switched the connecting arm around and VOILA! much tighter. I was able to set the fast idle much more accurately after reassembling everything. It's late and this old beast is loud so I'll start her up tomorrow and see where I'm at.

For jets, I've got 145 mains, 50/45 idles, and 170/180 corrections... For those of you who know something about these carbs, does that seem reasonable? They look close from what I've read on here.

Anyone know what the bubbles in the fuel mean?

Thanks!

Aaron

Anyone know what the bubbles in the fuel mean?

Thanks!

Aaron

Could you be sucking air back through the evaporate recovery canister or return fuel lines? Make sure everything except the fuel pressure line is well plugged and sealed. Also, try running it with the fuel tank gas cap off. You may need a venting gas cap rather than a sealed one.

Hmmm on an EA82 with a DFEV you shouldnt have to extend the throttle cable.... you can pretty much use the stock cable... if I recall on mine I had to fab a new mount and weld up a cool linkage... but the cable was stock. I would like to see pics if possible... its always neat to see how everyone does it... I swear every EA82 comes out slightly different.

I guess there is a trade off... either a mount and some welding is needed, or a new cable. Or alot of creativity.