Ultimate Subaru Message Board

syncro westy engine swap?

Is there a preferred engine to swap in amongst the syncro community? I saw a killer syncro westy the other night. It was lifted w/ bfgs. The engine was hanging out below the compartment and had a fabbed guard bar (not a plate, but more like a brushguard made to bolt under the engine) protecting it. I was just wondering if this was a Suby or maybe porsche or audi. It looked like the owner had put a lot of $$$ into his ride.

You might wanna check out the Yahoo Subaruvanagon list archives as this has been discussed several times. Most seem to be happy with the increased HP of the EJ22. But lately the issues with OBDII seem to have been worked out (and the EJ22 is getting long in the tooth) so there have recently been several 2.5 Phase II's.

IF I had a Syncro I'd go all the way; EG33. Yeah!

As for the skid plates, I don't remember where I saw them but they are commercially available I believe. I know that smallcar.com has an engine carrier with a skid plate, but I think that H&R motors has a sling type that protects the tranny too. The Yahoo Sycro group would know.

Good luck finding a syncro/westy. They were only made for like 4 years and the late models fetch a nice price.

• 4 weeks later...