Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Increasing space

I just finished mounting a safari basket on the roof of my 88 Justy. For those of you that don`t know, trunk space in a Justy is extremely limited. I installed support rails that I cut to length from a Volvo at the roof edges for strength. I welded & fab`ed my own brackets and installed them at the rear, middle & front support pillars of the car for load bearing. It turned out really good and has increased my carrying space when needed, without having to lay the rear seats down. I already had the same set-up on my Loyale wagon and it`s paid for itself many times over. I custom mounted this one and it`s the full length and width of the roof. For example, I`ve assisted the boyscouts with transport many times and can easily fit and carry 5 loaded backpacks on the roof, leaving plenty of space to seat 5 with additional space in the trunk for added gear.

Sounds cool. Pics needed.

I remember when I had my Justy with a Yakima rack and bikes on it, the engine was so small that if I had a bunch of stuff on the roof it would significantly lessen my performance. At the time, I lived in central Kansas, and it was pretty windy a lot of the time. Fortunately for the 3-cyl, it was relatively flat. I do remember being on the highway driving into the wind with stuff on the roof and barely making headway!

Cool workup sounds like you have.

Sorry for the delay, I admit it, I turn wrenchs for a living and I`m PC illiterate. #2 son helped me.

The 1st pic is of my new installed basket on my Justy with the 2nd pic of my home made brackets and hardware. The 3rd pic is my Loyale with the basket I installed a couple of years back with my own brackets and hardware.

Now that the weather is warming up, I`ll install my gold "pugs" on the wagon and post it up.