Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interior Destruction - Not for the Subie Squeamish (PICS)

I get a call from my sister when I was at work, and she tells me somebody left the door open on my backup subie (probably her, but beside the point). The kicker is her dog is chained up in reach of the car. Just for a background I didn't plan on keeping the car and was going to strip anything good off it and take the rest to the junkyard... Anyway, Kathleen tells me the dog, a young lab, jumped in through the door and managed to do this...

422033fd.jpg

f6c32300.jpg

2738a1eb.jpg

1c332cd6.jpg

Notice the dog looking a little sheepish, me cursing up a storm when I saw this is an understatement... So I keeping the interior will be a No.

its like the time i left this dude in my garage to strip down a soob while i ran after something for a few minutes.

when i come back, the dashboard is still in the car. whatever had been removed was broken. and i find dude in the driveway telling me my camper is stuck in 4th gear, and the trashwagon was stuck where it sat.

and this dude just doesnt get it, asks be to borrow my car after not returning with it the day before.

I fail to understand why people keep animals that destroy property, run away, roll in feces, etc....

Way I see it, if the dog is that dumb that it can't recognize and have some respect for it's food source and owner, then it's not a dog that I need.

Shoot the dog.

GD

I feel the same way.

You don't know how much will-power it took me not to beat that dog to death (I don't mean to make that sound like I beat animals to death when my will-power's low). To add insult to injury in the whole situation the dogs giving me the no-brain "Hey look it's a friend!" look when I walk up. The thing that killed me is that the dog got moved to where the sube is a month ago and the dog hasn't touched it, no paw prints, no claw scratches. As soon as the door is left open the mutt goes Kujo on it. I guess I'm still to blame for not moving the car when my sister moved the dog into its vicinity. Didn't make my day any better either way. :-\

Interesting points of view. "Shoot the dog" is hardly what I would call an effective and humane solution.

It is a dog - not a Harvard Uni Professor! I doubt it has the ability to comprehend just how seroius this is. Having said that - obviously the dog has some issues.

I'm not saying the dog isn't at fault - but really.. killing it is hardly going to achieve anything after the fact.

You have my sympathy - I would be majorily annoyed myself as well.

I said "shoot the dog" - it was a toung-in-cheek ejaculation intended to inject a little comedy in the situation.

I wouldn't shoot the dog - sell it perhaps to some hapless dog lover that will supply it with and endless supply of couches, slippers, newspapers, and a nice yard to crap in and then roll on it. Typical animal with no brains.

GD

I said "shoot the dog" - it was a toung-in-cheek ejaculation intended to inject a little comedy in the situation.

I wouldn't shoot the dog - sell it perhaps to some hapless dog lover that will supply it with and endless supply of couches, slippers, newspapers, and a nice yard to crap in and then roll on it. Typical animal with no brains.

GD

LOL okie then. But I know of some people that WOULD shoot the dog. And I agree with you GD - I'd be moving such an animal along if it continued with a wave of destruction.

Blame the owner, not the dog.

My dog was a year old when I got her, and was a chewer. Did a number like that to an old couch in my garage once. Then and there I cracked down, and the chewing stopped within a month. Almost two years now and the worst thing she's chewed has been a newspaper, and that was an isolated incident.

Even the dumbest dog can be trained by a smart owner to not chew, pee in the house, etc.

My bet is leaving the dog tied up had a lot to do with it. Labs are play-crazed dogs, and if you don't train them to only chew on their toys, they WILL chew on whatever they get their paws on if left isolated long or often enough.

All that being said, if my dog chewed up my Subaru stuff, it'd take a ton of self-control to not go crazy on her either.

My dog was a year old when I got her, and was a chewer. Did a number like that to an old couch in my garage once. Then and there I cracked down, and the chewing stopped within a month. Almost two years now and the worst thing she's chewed has been a newspaper, and that was an isolated incident.

Even the dumbest dog can be trained by a smart owner to not chew, pee in the house, etc.

My bet is leaving the dog tied up had a lot to do with it. Labs are play-crazed dogs, and if you don't train them to only chew on their toys, they WILL chew on whatever they get their paws on if left isolated long or often enough.

All that being said, if my dog chewed up my Subaru stuff, it'd take a ton of self-control to not go crazy on her either.

i agree

and dogs can tell when they've done somthing wrong i can see it in my dogs face she knows she is going to get a lectuer or punished when she rips down the curtains etc.

Shoot the sister. Or if it's illegal in your state- make her carry your tool bag (loaded with everything you might need) around the wrecking yard while you search for interior parts. Then have her remove the parts you need and pay for them and hand you tools while you install them in your car.

Maybe I'm a little harsh with my sister- she used to kck my rump roast when I was younger though.

my dog used to chew on stuff all the time... we got him (Sol the mighty golden retriever) when he was 4 or so weeks old...

after he discovered (many attempts later) that the glass sliding door is indeed solid and that ramming it does nothing, he moved onto chewing things...

the most he ever chewed on (that wasn't intended for chewing) was some cheap ikea chairs... but after that we hammered (metaphorically of course) on him...

he is now 7 years old... hyper as hell and somewhat annoying but still well trained... anything that falls on the floor is his...(food and the like...) but even then if its something odd he'll look for permission... pop bottles he won't touch unless we say so... shoes seem to have no appeal to him, but he won't even pick up a stick unless we make it an object of play... actually now that i think about it he only has 1 toy... a squeeky(sp?) ball, which has had the squeeker removed due to raw hatred... oh and of course lacrosse balls because of their exceptional boucing abilities making them extremely enjoyable for retrieving...

my advice to you is to have LOTS of other toys... embrace when they play with them, and open the gates of hell when they touch anything else...:D

with that said, make your sister feel exceptionally bad for letting her dog ruin one of these supreme automobiles...:-p

Shoot the sister.

Not sure if I'm THAT angry. I'm with you all on the dog thing, some people really neglect the fact that a pet, especially a dog, takes a lot of work and can't just be expected to behave on its own. My sister is the epitomy of irresponsibility, you make a joke about me dragging her around a junkyard, but I've been there. She backed her truck into my other Subaru this summer, and I hunted for the parts, I fixed it, and I painted it. I even left her an implied warning, look at my avatar. Have I seen a penny or a sincere apology? You bet your butt I haven't...

Just for kicks here it is bigger...

ihatekathleensometimes.jpg

Doesn't look too serious from here, but involved new radiator, new hood, lights, grill, etc.

your sis sounds like she needs to learn a lesson! i say you should 'accidentally' leave the door to her truck open... :D

Or let the dog loose in her house!

Being a black Lab owner/friend, I have to say all that dog needs is a good buddy to train it. Spend some time with that dog and get it some toys. Labs are highly intelligent animals that just need something to focus thier energy on.

Or let the dog loose in her house!

Being a black Lab owner/friend, I have to say all that dog needs is a good buddy to train it. Spend some time with that dog and get it some toys. Labs are highly intelligent animals that just need something to focus thier energy on.

We too own a Lab. He is a one yr old Lab/setter mix. Beautiful dog which has the typical look I'm an idiot appearance that als most all labs and setters have. Don't be fooled, he is as my Husky/Shepard.

Most of the time dogs chew out of boredom. This happens when they are chained and not allowed to interact with their humans. What the hell do they have to do then?

He started life as a chewer. I think it was because he was seperated too early from Mom. But never the less, he did chew. He loved shoes most of all. I didn't stand for it and it took longer to convince the daughther and wife that it isn't normal puppy behavior than it did the dog. We now provide him with other forms of amusement.

Contact with people is the key to a good dog. But the dog also needs to understand that they are not the alpha in any and all situations. I have seem "bad" dogs become well behaved guardians in little or no time with attention and training. Some friends have a Pit that was used as a target and fight trainer all his life. He has the scars to prove it. Yet, he is the nicest dog you'd ever meet. This is due to the fact that his owners/friends have shown him love and trained him as to what is allowed and what is not. He is still a bit skiddish around people he doesn't know or recognize.

My point is that the dogs want to be good. They want their owners to pat their heads and love them as much as they love their owners/friends. There are a few bad dogs but mostly there aree bad owners who either neglect or abuse their pets from ignorance or bad upbringing themselves. To say "shoot the dog" shows ignorance as well. Even if stated in a comic tone is wrong. All puppies should have some sort of obedience training and all owners should be required to attend it as well.

And a car over a dog? Definitely not a Subaru. Maybe a classis or antique but not a car that you can buy for under $1000 most of the time. A life is more important than a material obsession.

that is some serious damage.

park sisters car by dog. leave window down.

most hate bugs and kill them.

most hate mice and kill them, a small contingent of mice hugging trappers out there.

farmers hate birds that doo doo 4 inches of dung on their equipment so they shoot them.

horse owners shoot groundhogs that make holes and break horse legs.

some shoot cats, and love dogs.

some people don't view dogs much more than other animals.

some people, sadly more and more in the past 10 years, treat their dogs better than their kids.

we all draw our lines in different places, this dog-shooting discussion has come up a few times. it is interesting. glad it didn't turn into a name calling heated debate!

Contact with people is the key to a good dog. But the dog also needs to understand that they are not the alpha in any and all situations. I have seen "bad" dogs become well behaved guardians in little or no time with attention and training. Some friends have a Pit that was used as a target and fight trainer all his life. He has the scars to prove it. Yet, he is the nicest dog you'd ever meet. This is due to the fact that his owners/friends have shown him love and trained him as to what is allowed and what is not. He is still a bit skiddish around people he doesn't know or recognize.

My point is that the dogs want to be good. They want their owners to pat their heads and love them as much as they love their owners/friends. There are a few bad dogs but mostly there are bad owners who either neglect or abuse their pets from ignorance or bad upbringing themselves. To say "shoot the dog" shows ignorance as well. Even if stated in a comic tone is wrong. All puppies should have some sort of obedience training and all owners should be required to attend it as well.

could not have said it better myself - dogs, especially young dogs, need attention & training. Chaining a dog outside and forgetting about him/her is not responsible pet "ownership". This poor fella is more than likely bored to death. sure he never bothered the soob before, cause there wasnt anything he could "sink his teeth into" on the outside...the damage caused within looks to me like a definite case of boredom chewing - nothing else to do, nothing else within reach, havent been taught anything....

Let the dog go and chain up your sister

I see people nearly everyday that i would like to "treat" them the way they are treating thier animals.....:mad: anyone ever watch Animal Planet's "Animal Cops"???

• 2 weeks later...

I have a large Samoyed who in the past has gotten destructive like this. He only did it during thunderstorms. I learned quickly not to leave him unattended during storms. I put him in his crate so no longer damaged anything nor hurt himself. No idea what happened to him in his past that caused such a problem with storms.

If the dog is left unattended and just tied up outside I am sure it gets bored just like you and I would. A dog should not be kept like that.