Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback Lift - camber question

Today I'm having the scorpion springs and KYB GR2 struts installed on my '98 Outback. The mechanic was wondering about camber.

Since it is a lift, he was thinking it would need positive camber. Any advice on this?

Thanks,

gringorio

It won't NEED positive camber, but you will get positive camber until you correct for it during alignment.

Check out this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56392

I had the same spring & strut combo installed about three years ago. The work was done at the dealership and they did an alignment after the parts were all in. I've never had any issues with the handling or tire problems that would suggest poor alignment. I'm just assuming that there is plenty of adjustment available since they didn't try to hit me up for a more expensive "custom" alignment.

Thanks MountainBiker and JEGIII,

I picked up my car yesterday and it looks and rides great! Based on advice from another person who has done this set up, I'm going to wait a week for everything to settle in before getting the alignment.

Next step is the addition of a custom swing away (out to the side) full size spare tire rack my brother's building up for me - I'll post a photo when it's finished.

After that I'll have what I consider the perfect vehicle for the kind of driving and road trips I do.

:burnout:

I had the same spring & strut combo installed about three years ago. The work was done at the dealership and they did an alignment after the parts were all in. I've never had any issues with the handling or tire problems that would suggest poor alignment. I'm just assuming that there is plenty of adjustment available since they didn't try to hit me up for a more expensive "custom" alignment.

Not sure these photos will show how much lift was achieved with the scorpion springs, but it was more than I expected and I am very pleased with the results!

SubLift.jpg

SubLiftFront.jpg

SubLiftRear.jpg

Thanks for the info in this thread, I'm getting the parts to do exactly the same thing to my suspension, can't wait.

Sounds like I might not need those cam bolts after all.

Definitely post some pics, looking forward to seeing it!

Steve

• 8 months later...

Well, it's been a while since I 've had the spring lift and I still love it! Now, it's getting time to get new tires and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend the safest maximum tire diameter for Subs that have had this type of spring lift.

I was hoping to get another inch or so using some sort of light duty truck tire.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks! :banana:

Thanks for the info in this thread, I'm getting the parts to do exactly the same thing to my suspension, can't wait.

Sounds like I might not need those cam bolts after all.

Definitely post some pics, looking forward to seeing it!

Steve