Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the horn in my '82 wasn't working...

How do you rig something like that up?

You can buy aftermarket air horn kits. They usually contain a small electric compressor that you hook up with the wires that originally ran to the horns. The compressor then pumps air through the small air horns.

I wanna get some air horns off of a train...

Mount them on the roof. Use the air compressor from the adjustable ride hight Subaru models. Have to check the pressure that can make vs what the horns operate on... Get a small air tank (not sure how big it would need to be, but it would have to be tested...) Use a solenoid to switch the air tank to the horns when the button is pushed.. It wouldn't be able to blow them continually, but a few blasts should cover most uses.:grin:

Dave

How do you rig something like that up?

I took about 6" of mounting strip (strip metal with holes) and mounted each component in every 3rd hole or so... 2 horns the little electric compressor that runs them, and a relay...

ran a fused wire from the battery via the relay wired to the original horn wire...

blew the horn fuse in the dash once but got it on the 2nd try... (:

when I was getting parts I saw a horn kit just like this one for sale at Mike's Auto Parts on Woodstock and 52nd... didn't catch the price...

just how big is an airhorn from a train?

--Spiffy

• 1 year later...

I had a horn from a tug-boat (I think) and it was obscenely loud. I lit it off in my neighborhood once.... I repeat ONCE..... yeah I'll never do that again :eek:

Didn't need a lot of air, but it was the second loudest thing I've ever heard - the first was a claymore mine I lit off about 30 feet from my foxhole.

Made those look like baby rattles. It was about 16" long, and about 6" wide at the (chrome) opening. Probably weighed 20 pounds.

GD

I wanna get some air horns off of a train... I dont think I can get a compressor powerful enough in my subaru tho... not to mention those suckers are huge and theres no way I could hide em anywhere.

Train horns: $169.99 at the Pilot on I-5 exit 99 in Tumwater/Olympia :banana: If I owned my Freightliner I would install a set :clap: