Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL-10 recovery story, somewhat long

Some people…

Recovered a gl-10 from a friend’s yard last night.:banana:

It’s a GL-10 Turbo w/the full time 4w system and the LSD minus the engine.

My friend and I bought it about a year ago to strip for parts. I wanted the LSD and the rear disc brakes and he wanted the struts and the doors b/c he got into an accident.

So… It had been sitting for a year and then he gets a letter from the City of Los Angeles that he has to move it b/c you can’t have non-op cars parked in your driveway. Hmmm first time I heard of that one. Anyways the fine is $1000 or 6 months in jail.

So his pops tells him move it or I am gonna get someone to take it.

Not wanting to lose my LSD and other goodies, I clear out my garage, pull the Brat out of mothballs and drive over to his house to midnight tow it back to my place.

We get there and he lost the keys to the car. No big deal, hammer and some elbow grease and I break the lock housing and slide the tumbler out. Then his dad gets on our case about how dangerous it is to tow the car with a tow rope, blah blah blah. So we’re trying to convince him that it’s ok, and that we are only going a few miles.

Well he won’t budge. He’s still hemming and hawing and then I guess something broke through the Alzheimer’s and he says “oh… wait a minute I have a tow bar you can use to hook up to my truck”. :banghead:

Ok. Why didn’t he say that to begin with???? “:confused:

Anyways car is tucked away in my garage all nice and snug. After looking at it for a little bit, I am considering getting an engine and dropping it in there. Maybe even an EJ. I am sure the full time 4WD can handle the power.