Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help Identifying EA81 Disty

So after having a VERY annoying no-start problem on my 85 hatchback, I think we have found the problem. We traced the problem back to a bad hall effect sensor in the distributor. The only problem now is that we need new parts or a new(er) working disty, but we don't know what type it is and my FSM is for the 84 model year. The car is a 1985 4WD hatchback (EA81), 49 state I would assume. Anyone know which type of disty/parts I need or where I can get one?

Any EA81/EA71 disty will work from 82+

You have two choices - the Nippon-denso version, and the Hitachi. Most likely you have the Hitachi now. 4WD's got the Hitachi, and 2WD's got the ND.

You'll want the same brand of coil to whichever one you get - incorrect coil resistance can lead to ignitor failure. And no Accel coils - they are junk.

Could also use a carbbed EA82 disty if you cant find an EA81 version, but you'll have to change out the drive gear. If you have access to a small drill press it's easy. Should be a little easier to find one in the yards. Yards here by me charge $19 + 5 core for them.

GD