Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cleaning the carburetor

This is my third undertaking of cleaning a carburetor.

If you've minorly dissassembled it, and found that all parts are in working order, *except* that is is REALLY dirty, then this works for you. Otherwise, completely dissassemble into parts, and soak in engine degreaser/carb cleaner, then rinse with water.

First off, I start with two 16 oz cans of carb cleaner. Blast the hell out of the sides, insides, and all around any parts looking dirty.

Let it dry after the first can, then repeat. Make sure to get the throttle spring and return stuff, the sides, bottom, and the valves and barrels.

Let it dry, then spray like hell with engine degreaser. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes, (I did this all outside on a work bench) then take your 1. power washer or 2. garden hose with handle, and clean it inside and out until you don't see engine degreaser coming out of it. I used Gunk Engine Degreaser, because it's a little pink, and with grease, it gets darker. When you're cleaning it out with water, the degreaser is still pink comnig out of the carb.

Anyhow, so with this, I went from a completely oil encrusted and dirty Weber (you couldn't tell it was a weber, the W was hardly visible) to new and almost shiney. this one has a dull appearance normally. The insides were sooooo dirty, the carb cleaner didn't really touch it, only the dirty on the outside. So that's why I used engine degreaser.

Can't wait to put this bad boy on my little hatch.

Of course, if you plan on COMPLETELY rebuilding a carburetor, I suggest dissassembling it and soaking it. Then cleaning, reassembling with new gaskets and parts.