Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just purchased 1988 GL 10 with 56k original miles

Just purchased a 1988 GL 10 Wagon with 56,781 original miles from a coworker for $900.00. This is a southern vehicle NO RUST!!! Has new tires and struts everything else original. Everything works except for AC. This car starts right up and handles great! Where should I start in getting the ac fixed and should I go ahead and get the timing belt changed? I will be putting on new plugs, wires and fuel filter this weekend. Any suggestions on servicing the tranmission at this point? By the way no leaks anywhere on the engine or tranny. It is a FWD AUTOMATIC with sun roof, pwr everything. Does anyone reccommend using synthetic oil?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thats the exact same car I had for my first Subaru. FWD Auto.. Yayy!!:banana:

If you don't know whan the last time the timing belts (yes, 2 belts) were changed, then go ahead and do it. Maybe the water pump as well, since you'll be in the same general vicinity.

As far as the AC goes, there are three things I will generally go to a shop for . Alignments, Exhaust and AC. Just more trouble than its worth to deal with at home IMO.. Unless theres an obvious compressor failure or something.

You have a great car there and at a great deal. I had two of those at one time and one of them I purchased new. I kept it for 12 years.

The timing belts need to be changed every 60k miles so have that done, as Calebz mentioned. I would also have all the fluids changed so you will know where you stand on that. Be sure to use NGK plugs when you swap them.

The alternator is a little weak so you may have trouble with that later. I have service manuals for the car if you need some info later on.