Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 1982 GL Wagon 47,000 actual miles!

post what engine you have, either EA81 or EA82 and also carbbed or fuel injected. some of us are only familiar with FI engines like myself so i can't help you out as i believe yours is carb but i dont' know when or what models have carb. if it's like the fuel injected (FI) cars then it's by the passegers side rear wheel, crawl under the car and you'll see it mounted up underneath there. but again, i don't know the carbed vehicles at all.

EA81 - solid lifter - small intake valves :rolleyes:. Hitachi or Carter/Weber carb.

There is a FPCU (fuel pump control unit) above the hood release latch. It will not allow the fuel pump to run unless the engine is running. Just because the fuel pump does not run with the key in the ON position does not mean you have a fuel pump problem. It should cycle for a few seconds each time you turn the key to ON, and will run with the crank circuit as well.

That said, it's under the car near the tank on a little shelf.

GD

The VIN is JF1AM43B0CB436116 I am not sure what the engine is but it is a CARB and a hiddious one at that. More vacum lines that I can shake a stick at but Ill be ripping off that card and machining an adapter plate and putting on a holley 2brl carb.

Wow thanks guys! Any info about this car will help I am a porsche guy (Mechanic) but bought this to save some fuel these days. I love this little car and got it for $800.00

So far I have found the following wrong from sitting along time -

1. carb continues to pour fuel in to engine after engine is turned off causing a diesel problem.

2. Right fron brake caliper locked up

3. Rear wheel cylinders leaking

4. I have lost my fuel supply and suspect the fuel pump but have not ruled out electrical.

Yes I picked up the Silver one in Columbia SC. I talked him down from the $1450 to $800.00 but I knew the car had some problems from sitting for a long period of time and I was going to have to put some money in it. I do not see any rust anywhere on the car. I think I am going to need to replace the carb as it was rebuilt by someone who didnt know what they were doing. All in all it is going to be a nice litte car when I get it done.

Sounds like a nice car.I would definately second the vote for the rear disk conversion and the weber 32/36dgev.Also as with most cars being that you need to change the proportioning valve when doing the rear disk swap,older subarus you don't need to do that at all.

Another thing is I would probly flush the engine a few times since you said it was sitting for a while.Good luck.