Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Free "RX" No Way! What's wrong with it? (HELP!!!)

'86 EA82T 3dr Hatch (not RX.. but almost) 5spd FWD, Dual 4wd, 3.7 LSD Rear-end. AND I GOT IT FOR FREE AAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Passenger rear window broken, fuel pump not pumping (no big deal got extra pumps, but it only pumps while the key is in the "start" position but not with it in the "on" position.) fuel injectors not getting power at all, ECS light is on when i "rig" it to run. Don't know how to pull codes out of this car. There is something else wrong with this car. It will run, it seems to be on all 4 cylinders. But that is with me just dropping gas right into the intake. (With the "TURBO" thing removed.) #4 was "hydro-locked" with "milkshake" but take the plug out allowed me to get blasted in the face by it. Replacing the spark plugs and dumping gas in there got it to fire and i got it running a little. But it is spitting milkshake under boost into what would be the post-turbo intake if I hadn't taken that "turbo" thing off. Also, the uhm.. PCV port? at the cam cover I think... from the 1-3 side.. spits up some milkshake into the pre-turbo intake..

So what I'm getting at here... is there oil and coolant mixing in or near the turbo somehow? Could any of what I mentioned here be the cause of the injectors not getting power? Is this motor going to need a rebuild to be drivable? Let's here from the EA82T guys!!!

Thanks for the Input guys. I'm definately done for the night.. but tomarrow it's getting a compression test and I'm gonna try to pull any codes. I was just talking with Junkie (brian) and he was telling me the 86 turbo's are prone to cracking on the 1-3 side. Which made my gut drop of course. I hope you guys are right though.. if the gaskets are gonna need replacing anyway it sucks to have a cracked head too. Everybody hope for me that I don't need to rebuild this one too!!!

computer controlls duty cycle of fuel pump, while in "start" it is at 100%, otherwise it runs to maintain pressure as controlled by computer duty cycle

if it's been sitting, let the "milkshake" blow out

my bet is on the ecu being toast, and you can grab one from a xt6 supposedbly

Yeah.. I let what I thought was all of it blow out.. then i put about 3 quarts of water in the radiator... and a bunch more but slightly more watery started coming out... *sigh* I'm doomed. I think you may be right about the computer being hosed...

Does anyone have any concerns about me using the computer out of my 88 RX to test this theory? Could it result in damage to my good computer?

computer controlls duty cycle of fuel pump, while in "start" it is at 100%, otherwise it runs to maintain pressure as controlled by computer duty cycle

if it's been sitting, let the "milkshake" blow out

my bet is on the ecu being toast, and you can grab one from a xt6 supposedbly

um not exactly. thats how newer vehicles with returnless fuel systems work. not an old RX. The computer does NOT control duty cycle on an EA82T car.

they pump runs full on all the time. the pressure regulator just dumps the extra fuel back into the tank.

before you shotgun the ECM check at the big injector resistor pack to see if it has power or not. the ECM only controls the ground side of the injectors.

Does anyone have any concerns about me using the computer out of my 88 RX to test this theory? Could it result in damage to my good computer?

The ECU from an 88 won't work in an 86. Besides from the 86 having a flapper maf instead of the hotwire, there's a few more differences. You're gonna need an ECU from an 86 Turbo

Codes 33 (Coolant Sensor or Circuit) and 11 (Ignition Pulse) Unless I am mistaken.. but that would make sense right?

It flashed in this order: 11, 33, 11, 33, 11, 11, 11, 11, i think you get the point.

So let's get some input on that... and later today I'll get some compression results.

Sounds like the no fuel is Crank Angle Sensing distributor, but in an 86? What's the build date? What do the connectors to the distributor look like? Square connector or round? Colors of the four wires?

Do you know what the term 'White Elephant' means?

Jay

A White Elephant is a term for a gift given to a family to cause them undue distress and financial burden. Pakistan and India swap these types of gifts often.

Just seemed fitting. No insult meant.

My 87 RX had the same problem, Exact same problem, with fuel when I first got it.

Hope you can find some time to work on it.

Jay

Okay... so... uhm... what does it mean if I'm pouring water into the radiator and it is coming out of the cam cover ports? both sides too... I removed the hoses.. and that is the lowest spot for the water to escape... it comes out of both sides with pretty equal force as they are fairly level with each other. WTF? Gonna go remove cam covers.. *sigh*

well there are freeze plugs in the heads which could be blown, the plugs in the bottom of the heads which let you drain the coolant from the engine might now be in, and my most favorite, blown intake gaskets...

I think those might be the 3 choices for your cam case coolant:D

Would blown intake gasket let water flow through that quickly? I pulled the oil pan bolt and after ~2 gallons of water drained out about 2 quarts of milkshake followed it... the water runs through there just as fast as I pour it in... right from the radiator and on out the oil pan... Thanks for all the input guys.. looks like this one is getting a rebuild too, huh?