Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL 10 turbo electrical problem

Bill

My left headlight is dim, right is ok. Tail and dash won't work either. Anyone heard of this problem? I was told there was a left and right headlight relay and one is bad. Why would my tail/dash lights be affected. Fuses are ok, though it is interesting that the left headlight fuse block has 7 volts and none when I pull the right headlight fuse. Tail lights work when I turn on the separate parking light switch. Brake lights work. Need help on this one.

this may sound redundent perhaps lame but, have you checked all your ground wires for good clean contact? I believe there are 3 or 4 alone in the engine bay.

Curious question(s):

Have you swapped the headlamps to see what that might do?

What do the connectors look like for the left side vs. the other for corrosion?

How rusty is this car?

Thanks for the reply. Good questions.

I cleaned one ground near the battery, though it didn't need it. There's no rust of any kind. The engine comparment is as clean as new. Little to no corrosion in the several connections I inspected. I did swap headlight bulbs, same problem (so its not the bulb). Voltage to the left bulb is also 6-7 volts. So I'm thinking it IS a relay thing and the voltage is being backwashed through the right headlight cuz when I uplug the right headlight bulb, the left side goes out. But where are these relays?

Our Superscrew Dealership "never heard of such a thing" (not according to my buddy who works on 'em). Didn't know whether one or two relays. "Bring it in". Sure hate to. I'll have to take out a second mortgage.

relays relays.....

well, taking off the lower two large pieces of plastic under the steering wheel will allow for access to the relays I'm aware of.

there are some 4 to 8 relays up under there ALL of them are on the left side of the steering wheel shaft, they also all seem to be the round steel design with the diagram printed on the metal.

There are 2-4 that are "C clipped" onto the top side of the ECU (engine control computer with 3 bolts attaching it to the steering frame.) Remove those three bolts and getting to these relays will be less hassle.

The other 4 or 6 relays are up above the fuse block - and I do mean UP, they too are held in with those same designed "C clips" for snap out and pull down of the relay and the wiring to see them easily out in the open air dangling for ease of swapping the relays.

Here's a time testing trick of the relays as they are all the same design.

At least one of these relays is for the A/C system so if you have the A/C on while unpluging the relays one at a time you'll find out which one(or more) they are and can then then stick those relays into the *STILL EMPTY A/C socket for proving those relays work and that way your not climbout back up and looking to "SEE if the lights are on or not".

care to try that?

Sure. Thanks. My buddy said its a nightmare behind that dash.

Got any ideas on a good repair manual. Most I've looked at have unreadable pictures or improper location of parts/accessories or absent of troubleshooting/diagnostics.

Thanks. Thats a very good price for Subaru Manuals. A good aftermarket manual (Motor, Chiltons, etc) run that much.

I'll try tinkering some more and let you know. Meantime I can only drive during the daylight....

check to see if your ground is corroded up into the wire. People think that if you clean a corroded connector that is goes away but what they don't know is that the corrosion crawls up the wire underneath the insulation. I've had this same problem before with headlights. About the taillights and the dash lights, it sounds like you might have a bad connection somewhere in the taillight system, maybe on the back of the headlight switch.