Ultimate Subaru Message Board

white smoke...

More news on the rebuild that seems to never end.

EA82: I removed it, replaced head gaskets, and basically everything else. Returned it to the car and it wouldn't start. Traced the problem to a dead fuel pump, and this weekend finally got her to fire up.

Now,... a new problem. She runs fine for a few minutes then starts putting out clouds of white smoke... I searched in the internet and people say that she's must be burning oil (whitish-blue smoke - mine seems white), so I figured maybe she is burning off the assembly lube etc.

Then I was walking around the vehicle looking for a problem and there is a steady stream of oil coming down the driver's side, looks to be underneath the disty, maybe the valve cover gasket...

Any ideas... I replaced all seals/gaskets with OEM and torqued everything to spec. But this doesn't look good. Please send your thoughts. In the meantime, I'll be hoping I don't have to pull that engien again.

belizeanbus

I found it possible to get the heads bolted on with one twisted - say up at the front, and the other twisted down at the front. Makes the intake just about impossible to seal up. I found snugging the intake - not super tight, just enough to keep things aligned - while snugging the heads helped to keep everything aligned. Once the heads are not loose enough to move, loosen the intake, tourque the heads.

Did you use OEM intake manifold gaskets? If you didn't, this could explain the white smoke.

How about the reinforced o-ring between the head and camshaft tower? That oil passageway has high pressure and without the right o-ring, it will leak.