Ultimate Subaru Message Board

auto trans filter/filters 1998 outback

I have an 1998 Outback wagon 2.5, auto trans, AWD with about 87,000. I bought it used a couple of months ago and have no service history. I want to service the trans even though it seems to be working OK. The fluid looks good and doesn't smell burned at all. I want to know if this car has the screw on filter and if so is there also a filter inside the pan that also needs to be serviced? If there is no filter inside the pan should I drop the pan as part of the service or just use the drain plug? I have looked under the car and do not see an external screw on filter but my dealer parts guy and service dept guy both say it has one.

I have decided against a flush as most say it is risky. Some have recommended that I just drain the fluid from the pan and change the filters, wherever they are and do it agian after about 10, 000 miles or so. Do any of yo have an opinion about that.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Frank

I have an 1998 Outback wagon 2.5, auto trans, AWD with about 87,000. [...] I want to know if this car has the screw on filter and if so is there also a filter inside the pan that also needs to be serviced?[...]
According to http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EATDiagnosisWin02.pdf the external filter was first used on the '99 models. For reference, there are pictures showing the spin-on filter in the PDF.

Some have recommended that I just drain the fluid from the pan and change the filters, wherever they are and do it agian after about 10, 000 miles or so. Do any of yo have an opinion about that.

So I have a confession to make.....I have never changed the auto trans filter on my car in all its 135,000 miles. However, I have drained and changed the fluid very frequently. I hate taking those damn pans off - mostly due to the ensuing leaks and mess. All my previous cars required pan removal to change fluid - I like having a drain plug!:) Maybe I will look in the pan when I hit 150,000 miles out of curiosity.:brow:

I have an 1998 Outback wagon 2.5, auto trans, AWD with about 87,000. I bought it used a couple of months ago and have no service history. I want to service the trans even though it seems to be working OK. The fluid looks good and doesn't smell burned at all. I want to know if this car has the screw on filter and if so is there also a filter inside the pan that also needs to be serviced? If there is no filter inside the pan should I drop the pan as part of the service or just use the drain plug? I have looked under the car and do not see an external screw on filter but my dealer parts guy and service dept guy both say it has one.

I have decided against a flush as most say it is risky. Some have recommended that I just drain the fluid from the pan and change the filters, wherever they are and do it agian after about 10, 000 miles or so. Do any of yo have an opinion about that.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Frank

We also have a 1998 OBW. I've drained and refilled the transmission fluid every 30K miles, and the trans has been trouble-free for 120K miles. There is a filter screen inside the pan, but it does not require replacing. Since you have no service records, consider draining and refilling the fluid several times, with a couple of hundred miles in between each draining.

By the way, if you've got a dealer telling you that your '98 has an external filter, run--don't walk--away from that place.

We also have a 1998 OBW. I've drained and refilled the transmission fluid every 30K miles, and the trans has been trouble-free for 120K miles. There is a filter screen inside the pan, but it does not require replacing. Since you have no service records, consider draining and refilling the fluid several times, with a couple of hundred miles in between each draining.

By the way, if you've got a dealer telling you that your '98 has an external filter, run--don't walk--away from that place.

Have the xmision cooler and lines flushed as well.

I installed an inline filter from an older model Suby which uses a replacable cartridge.

The "filter" is only a screen, and deos not get changed. In fact if you drop the pan and imporperly tighten it (or bend the flange) you are doomed to tranny pan leaks.

Best thing to do is a flush, and your sooby will love you.

nipper

i was told some 98 and up (or all?) transmissions have screw on filters like an oil filter.

If any 1998's have an external screw-on filter, perhaps they're late production vehicles?? Our '98 OBW was built 3/98 and does not have the screw-on filter. Our '99 Legacy GT was built 12/98 and it does have the external filter.

when they went with the new trans in late? 99, they new has screw on filter.

TZ1A2ZJEAA = 99 legacy 2.5L GT (all?)

TZ1A2ZJEBA = 99 obw 2.5 (late) i've seen it.

earlier 99 obw trans were equal to 98 trans = tz102z2dba

and very similar to the 97 trans = tz102z2cba i've seen it too.

98 gt may be same or diff, i don't know.

it's not surprising that if you saw a 99 trans with screw on filter you would assume that all 99 had them, even if you worked at a stealership.

check your trans model nimber under the hood.

If any 1998's have an external screw-on filter, perhaps they're late production vehicles?? Our '98 OBW was built 3/98 and does not have the screw-on filter. Our '99 Legacy GT was built 12/98 and it does have the external filter.