Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at a '93 Imp....thoughts????

Hey guys,

We came across a '93 Imp Sedan (AWD, 5-spd) here in Reno and my daughter (the mechanic to be) has decided she simple must have it.

The bad:

blown clutch

broken windshield

no stereo

needs tires

damage to left-front headlight housing

some dings and bumps

The good:

it's cheap ($500)

the interior is in very good condition

it has an air bag

It's sounds like there's a lot wrong with it, but over all I'd say, for the price, it would be a good first car for her. And I'm sure the kid is going to come down in price when I start haggling with him.

I can deal with all the bad stuff, and she wants to do all the work on it, but what I'm looking for is anything else besides the obvious....belts, etc. that i should replace on it and things that I should check prior to buying it (I'm an EA81 guy...). Supposedly he had all the axles replaced at around 150K and had all the belts, brakes and hoses replaced around 175K, but no reciepts :rolleyes: to prove it....

Thanks for the input.

NV

timingbelt and all the nonsense that goes with that....i had a 93 and broke down due to one of the timing pulleys/gears

otherwise haggle away..when u think about it 500 dollars and u get a whole car/good investment...but in order to make it work ur talking more money...maybe its best just to save a little more and find something better for a little more....

what does the kid seem like?

dumping the clutch has 5000 rpm's at every red light kinda kid?

or just a 195k mile clutch kinda kid?

haha i would buy it..good learning experience for ur kid and its an awd subaru i see ppl spending 500 dollars on used go karts. you could part the car out and prolly make your money back

Some 93's aren't AWD...make sure it is.

I think that its an ok price....and if you an get it for less good....does it have any smells when you drive it....is the under carriage have a fair amount of oil on it....does it jerk around if you pull really really sharp turns and most importantly, when you daughter says she is willing to work on it, does she really mean she's willing to let you work on it ;)

I have a 95 Impreza L and I'm very happy with it!!

Well I can't really drive it around to check it out as the clutch being shot and all, but he doesn't seem like a racer kid.... he was using it as a winter car driving from Reno to the ski resort he worked at up at Tahoe, so most likely just a lot of miles on the thing. We're gonna go do a detailed look at on Saturday, so I'll bring my floor jack and tools and poke and prod at it. And yes, my daughter really will work on it (with help from dad of course...) but she's gonna be 16 in a few days and she's decided that she want to pursue auto mechanics as a career choice, so I imagine this will be a good experience for her.

Thanks for the input guys!

NV