Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More XT6 strut oddities

OK, flipped the top mount of the EA82 rear shock like I was told... the rubber stops appear to be shaped to fit only one way in the top mount, so we flipped those as well, and now the shock doesn't fit because one of the rubber mounts is now wider than the mounting hole up top. Did I screw up?

Put one non-flipped EA82 shock in the rear and it actually doesn't ride at a bad height, but because we spent so much time getting the damn shock, didn't have time to swap anything else out today. Guess it has to wait at least a week.

On the shock mount there are cups for the rubber bushings. Try and flatten out the small one because this is where the big bushing sits when its flppied over. This will help it sit better on the mount. The bushings need to be in the same position as original, the smaller bushing needs to seat in a hole on top of the wheel well.

OK, update as of this evening... I had a chance to work with my friend on the car... got the other rear shock on with the mount right-side up, and now it REALLY rides rump roast-up... :) (something about the rears being good but the fronts still being flat...)

We then went to tackle a Legacy strut and found a few things.

1) the spring on the Legacy strut does NOT clear the wheel well near the top! the top of the wheel well, on the inside, bulges out a bit and we can't get the strut to clear.

2) the mounting on the strut for the knuckle may NOT actually be "too narrow"... since we could not get the Legacy spring to clear, we went back in to install the XT6 air strut so we could put the car back in the garage.. and then promptly spent the next 2 hours trying to widen the strut mount on the ORIGINAL strut so that it would fit over the knuckle!!! (However, it is undenaible that the Legacy strut mount DOES need to be widened, because the XT6 is a PITA).

so... the next question is...

Why did the Legacy strut/spring not work? It was from an AWD Legacy sedan...