Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Big Lights... Wire Gauge?

Andyjo

So i'm looking to buy some Lightforces... 170 Strikers, Just been thinking about how to wire them... of course i'll use a relay, and make it all nice & stuff... just a question about wire gauging.... They're 100watt lamps, each, so 200watts, at 12v, so that's like.. 16 amps.

So what would you use for that sort of power draw? 8 gauge? something around that size?

I have access to some really nice wire, with the heavy duty rubber coating... i think it's about 8 gauge... the wires create a diameter of about 1/8"...

Any electricians want to help me out here? :)

Also, do you know where i could get a good relay for there?

I was actually sort of wondering what relays everyone else uses... i've never used relays w/ my lights.. and would like to.. i usually just wire them straight to the battery, with a switch inline... for the light forces i'm going to use a relay.. as to not fry them.

But yeah... don't buy a 'wiring kit' just get some wire, and relays, and do it all yourself, don't get ripped off ;)

I've been looking for good relays.. i think PIAA has some, or maybe hella... they're pricy, but i think they'll take the abuse.

maybe this one?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=330-070

hmmm

Yeah i used to just hard wire my lights too. I did that to my old 100watt spotties and the switch got REAL warm and the insulation on the backside started to bubble. The new lights i bought are 130watt so I know i'll wanna be using a relay for those. I got some other 55watt lights I think will be safe.

Maybe i'll look around on ebay and see what comes up.

-Brian

Relays: I've had good luck with Bosch and Hella brands. I scavenge them off Volvo and other Euro cars at the bone yard.

Wire: I've been having good luck using a heavy duty extension cord that I cut one end off with a skil saw. Think it started out as a 100' 12 guage cord. I've now wired lights and stuff on at least three cars and there's still plenty of cord left. Sounds funky I know, but hey it has tough solvent resistant insulation and you can run three switch to relay circuits through one chunk of wire so there's less mess under the dash.

theres no risk using a toggle switch over a relay, just gotta make sure they are able to handle the load but even still you will burn out the switches eventually... wont harm your lights in any way.

I've seen residential light switches used successfully in cars...just looks a little different.

Mike thats a great idea. The extension cords Ive been workin with at work have 3 wires in them... +/- & ground. That would be perfect for wiring that way the insulation will keep the wiring all neet and tidy. I think i may do that, there just happens to be a 50' extension cord at work we are no longer able to use :brow:

And there are 4 rows of volvo's in the junkyard. Do you have a location where I can find these relays?

-Brian

Well it's been a few years since I scavenged relays. I think it was volvos I robbed them from, but it could have been Saab or Benz too. In any case the relays were in the fuse box area under the hood and they were the same style you'd get from the local auto part store, just better quality.

I've always had good luck with the relays from the chain parts stores....

maybe only 1 gone bad in the last 7 years....

I've got a bunch of metal casing relays scavenged from soobs :) but haven't used 'em yet....