Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mud buggy

I think you'll need the little computer unit to talk to the carb,

other than that I don't think you'll need too much computing.

How are you planning to get fuel to the motor?

Do you know what car the motor came out of?

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

All engines will need a computer.

The carbed one dont necessarily need one to "run" It may not be optimal w/o one.

The fuel injected one will need a computer and a host of other sensors.

What type of engine is it? EA81 or EA82.

BW

Most likely the answer to your question would be no you do not need any type of engine control on that engine.Most likely since you are running an ea81 or ea82 it is carbed and you can do away with most of that emission control crap.I used to live in soldotna,Ak and I did something similar on my brothers old sube.If you can it would be worth while to convert your stock carb over to a weber 32/36dgev.Lot less problems to face when you are in the middle of no where like any part of Alaska can be.Good luck.

Oh ya, Welcome to the board!:banana:

I know your secrets!!!:brow:

You must share them with the group or face sanctions!:lol:

Tell the rest of the Subie Folks what your up to???

Better yet, post some pics of the original proto types and build process of the current monster!

We can all learn from your input.

Way cool,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--and I though this was cool...

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

If you put a different carb on there I think you can run without the computer. Someone can verify this, but I believe the Hitachi carbs interface with the ECU a bit since they're feedback carbs. I've got a weber on mine and things are strictly vacuum controlled (EGR, vac. advance, brake booster and HVAC are the only vac. lines I've got hooked up). The rest of the electrical is purely for sensors (coolant temp, oil pressure).

Since ignition timing is controlled by the disty & vac. advance, is there anything the ECU does with the coil / ignition system that makes it necessary?

Most likely the answer to your question would be no you do not need any type of engine control on that engine.Most likely since you are running an ea81 or ea82 it is carbed and you can do away with most of that emission control crap.I used to live in soldotna,Ak and I did something similar on my brothers old sube.If you can it would be worth while to convert your stock carb over to a weber 32/36dgev.Lot less problems to face when you are in the middle of no where like any part of Alaska can be.Good luck.

Where might a person find such a carb. Soldotna is on the top of the list for places to retire.

Jeff