Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Installation - Choke, PS problem

I'm at my bosses, the computer and connection are so slow my searches are timing out, so I am making a new thread.

VIVA LA ANNOYING WEBER THREADS!!!!

So, the power steering chicken is in the way of my choke nugget. I really don't want to flip the whole carb and run the throttle cable around the world....

Is a manual choke that bad? Do I have any other options?

Oh I don't really need a kit to do the manual conversion. I can piece all that together.

I just don't want to have to do it if there is another way. But it looks like that is going to be the way to go, I don't really want to do the 180 spin thing. :(

I have a 180 degree turned carb....

I put the throttle mount in some other holes in the intake manifold... I actually had to shorten the cable as it comes up from the bottom of the carb, then loops around the throttleplate thing along the front up to the top. I used one of the plates where you can just pass a cable through and tighten a screw down on the cable to keep it in there. I tried keeping the cable long but it wouldnt work, it had to be bent too much and it bound up.

Sorry I dont have any pics of it :(

Mine is 180*. I did not shorten my cable, and that has not been a problem.

I picked up a choke kit at napa- the "nugget" in the kit as a cover did not fit well, went the turned route.

Noah88DL installed his w/ choke, head on- he just beat the PS rez till there was room. If that was me, I woulda caused more problems for myself and still had to turn the carb- but it has been done. Any leaks Noah???

From what I understand, installing a Weber either way we are forced to in our cars isn't ideal, and can lead to hang up of the float on hard turns, hills. I have suffered fuel starvation in moments like that. I've read the float pin/hinge should sit parallel to the firewall, and in the most forward position if possible.

Either way, the coolant passage was barely covered w/ both Cameron's plates and kit ones, and match up to the intake once "flipped" wasn't ideal (dremel?) I used the brass del nipple in the port to support a bit of aluminum cut to shape, countersunk, then covered w/ quicksteel.

No one stepped forward when I was dealing w/it as to whether there was any real reason the secondary should not be most forward spot...

So, its been runnin okay since then, jetting is okedoke but Im sure could get better. If you take the top off yours, pls post your jet sizes (air correctors n mains, idles if you look) good luck